It doesn’t happen very often that a completely new form factor is introduced, but that’s exactly what HP is now trying to do with the new HP Elite Folio, which would be the best 2 in 1 laptop 2021. Not only the design is exciting, but also the technology, because the 2 in 1 notebook is equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 SoC, a 5G modem, and a 3:2 display.
Windows on ARM is still waiting for its big breakthrough years later, but Microsoft has now received unexpected support: Since the launch of Apple’s first Macs based on the M1 ARM SoC, various apps have been optimized for the architecture, from Google Chrome to Adobe Photoshop soon a large number of programs native to the chips.
So new ARM 2 in 1 notebook models are more exciting than ever, especially when they look as interesting as the HP Elite Folio 2 in 1 laptop touchscreen. In contrast to most convertibles, the display can not only be folded back but also pulled forward to reduce the distance between the user and the touchscreen during video chats or surfing. HP relies on a 13.5-inch display in 3: 2 format with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,280 pixels including Gorilla Glass 5.
The case offers a dedicated slot in which the stylus fits so that it is always with you. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 not only offers significantly better performance than its predecessor, but also an integrated Snapdragon X55 5G modem. There is also up to 16 GB LPDDR4x memory, an NVMe M.2 SSD with a capacity of up to 512 GB, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, two USB-Cs, and a headphone jack. The convertible is around 16 millimeters thin and 1.29 kilograms.
An infrared webcam enables login via Windows Hello, while four loudspeakers with tuning from Bang & Olufsen and several microphones with support for Cortana Far Field Premium round off the overall audiovisual package.
Price and availability
HP Elite Folio Specifications
- OS: Windows 10 Pro 64
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen2 5G (up to 3.0 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB L3 cache, 8 cores)
- Memory: 16 GB LPDDR4-4266 MHz RAM (onboard)
- Internal drive: 256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC SSD
- Display: 13.5″ diagonal, WUXGA+ (1920 x 1280), touch, IPS, BrightView, Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5, 400 nits, low power, 72% NTSC[12,13,14,15,16]
- Graphics: Qualcomm Adreno 690 Graphics
- I/O Ports: 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4); 1 headphone/microphone combo, 1 nano SIM
- Audio: Bang & Olufsen, quad stereo speakers, dual array microphones
- Webcam: 720p HD privacy camera
- Keyboard: HP Premium Collaboration Keyboard – spill-resistant, backlit keyboard
- Pointing device: Clickpad with multi-touch gesture support
- Connectivity: Qualcomm Atheros 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2×2) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5 combo, Qualcomm Snapdragon X20 LTE Cat 16
- Battery: HP Long Life 4-cell, 46 Wh Li-ion
- Dimensions: 11.75 x 9.03 x 0.63 in
- Weight: 2.92 lb
- What’s in the box: HP Elite Folio 13.5 inch 2-in-1 Notebook PC; Stylus Pen; Power Adapter
- Software included: Bing Search for IE11; HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI
Recently, HP has also made available the Elite Dragonfly Max 2 in 1 laptop touchscreen model with a 5-megapixel webcam! Yes, this is not an alternative universe but the reality we live in. Even the most expensive MacBooks and Windows convertibles still rely on simple 720p webcams, even in zoom times, the new Dragonfly Max convertible laptop is hopefully the start of a little more megapixel craze for laptop webcams. Pricing starts from $2,199.