Lenovo has globally released the ThinkPad X1 Fold 16-inch, featuring an OLED panel that expands to 16.3 inches when unfolded, surpassing the computing capabilities of its 13.3-inch counterpart (REVIEW).
The OLED panel boasts a resolution of 2,024 x 2,560 pixels and a maximum HDR brightness of 600 cd/m². Users can employ a stylus for hand-drawn sketches or note-taking. When coupled with a keyboard, the ThinkPad X1 Fold tablet transforms into a laptop, housing a fingerprint sensor within the keyboard itself.
Powered by Intel processors—specifically, the 12th Gen Core i5 and Core i7-U CPUs—the foldable device supports configurations of up to 32 GB of LPDDR5 RAM and a PCIe Gen 4 SSD with a capacity of one terabyte.
The X1 Fold 16 takes a significant leap from its predecessor’s emergency solution by featuring a genuine ThinkPad keyboard, akin to the layout and typing experience of the ThinkPad X1 Nano. Lenovo has managed to incorporate the TrackPoint, thanks to increased space, albeit omitting dedicated keys in favor of a solution resembling that of the ThinkPad Z13—a haptic trackpad with integrated buttons. Unlike the ZenBook Fold, this keyboard offers a two-stage backlight and charges via USB-C.
Notably, Lenovo has externalized the stand, a departure from the integrated kickstand in the previous model. While the older version limited the device to a horizontal orientation, the X1 Fold 16 offers the flexibility to align vertically with the new stand—a particularly intriguing option for programmers and copywriters. However, this comes with a significant drawback: the stand becomes an additional accessory to carry, adding weight to the device.
Equipped with two Thunderbolt 4 ports and USB 3.2 Gen 2 in Type C, the model offers optional 5G connectivity, while Bluetooth 5.2 and WiFi 802.11ax are standard. The weight is stated as 1.28 kilograms, which increases to 1.9 kilograms with the keyboard included.
Price and release date
Lenovo has announced the availability of the ThinkPad X1 Fold 16 after its unveiling a year ago. The device is now open for pre-orders on Bhphotovideo.com, starting at $2,499.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold 16 specifications
- Processors: Up to Intel vPro with 12th Gen Intel Core U9 i5 and i7 Processors
- OS: Up to Windows 11 Pro
- Memory: Up to 32GB LPDDR5
- Storage: Up to 1TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD
- Graphics: Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- Display: 16.3-inch (2024×2560) foldable OLED 600nit HDR/400nit SDR, DCI-P3 100%, Dolby Vision, On-cell Touch with Pen support; 16.3-inch when open / 12-inch when folded
- Audio: Dolby Atmos 3-speaker system (2 speakers work at any one time) / Dolby Voice enabled – 4x microphones (2x mics work at any one time)
- Camera: 5MP RGB+IR with Intel VSC option
- Battery: 48Whr (optional additional 16 Whr based on configuration); 65W AC Rapid Charge
- Security: TPM 2.0, Touch Fingerprint Reader (on keyboard), Windows Hello face login,
- Ports: 2 x Intel Thunderbolt 4, 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 AX (2×2), Optional 5G Sub 6 (LTE supported), Bluetooth 5.2, Nano-SIM card tray
- Dimensions: 276.1 x 345.7 x 8.6mm (Unfolded) / 176.4 x 276.2 x 17.4mm (Folded)
- Weight: 1.28kg / 2.82 lbs; 1.9kg / 4.19lbs (with Keyboard and stand)