Lenovo is rolling out its anticipated 2023 update for its mobile workstations. As part of this update, the T-series-based ThinkPad P16 Gen 2 is now equipped with the Ampere-based RTX A500, while the Ada Lovelace graphics architecture graces the ThinkPad P16 2023. Beyond graphics enhancements, these refreshed models showcase expanded RAM, fresh displays, and the inclusion of lightning-fast PCIe Gen 5 SSDs for a cutting-edge computing experience.
In the realm of these revitalized ThinkPads, many adopt a simple yet impactful approach by building upon their predecessors. The Lenovo ThinkPad P16 Gen 2, for instance, retains its classic design while experiencing a robust internal upgrade. A seamless transition from Intel Alder-Lake to Intel Raptor-Lake is a highlight, featuring the latest 13th Gen Core i series CPUs, specifically the potent HX55 chips.
The Lenovo ThinkPad P16 2023 gets the new Nvidia RTX 5000 Ada as the fastest GPU option. The RAM offerings also see expansion, notably from 128 GB to an impressive 192 GB, available in DDR5 configurations. Not to be outdone, Lenovo introduces the much-anticipated PCIe Gen 5 SSDs, further elevating data transfer speeds.
The visual experience of the ThinkPad P16 Gen 2 has also received a significant boost. A new 800 cd/m² LCD option adds brightness and vibrancy to the display lineup. Meanwhile, the WQXGA (2,560 x 1,600) variant enjoys an upgraded luminance from 400 to 500 cd/m². Moreover, the ThinkPad P16 Gen 2 now boasts an LCD featuring a remarkable 165 Hz refresh rate.
Price and release date
For those seeking the unparalleled performance of the Lenovo ThinkPad P16 Gen 2 workstation, the pricing commences at $1,849. Interested buyers can acquire this powerhouse through reputable online retailers such as Bhphotovideo.com, Newegg.com, and Amazon.com.
Lenovo ThinkPad P16 Gen 2 specifications
- Processor: vPro with 13th Gen Intel Core HX-Series up to i9
- Operating System: Up to Windows 11 Pro / Ubuntu Linux / Red Hat Enterprise Linux / Fedora Linux/ (Debian Linux on P1)
- Graphics: Intel UHD Integrated Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 5000 Ada 16GB GDDR6 (Optional)
- Memory: Up to 192GB DDR5 (4 SODIMM slots)
- Storage: Up to 2 x 4TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Performance SSD (PCIe Gen 5)
- Camera: FHD RGB, FHD Hybrid IR (Optional)
- Battery: 94Whr, 170W Slim / 230W Slim power supply
- Display: 16-inch 16:10, WQUXGA (UHD+), OLED Touch, 400nit, 100% DCI-P3, HDR500 True Black, Dolby Vision, X-Rite FCC, Low Blue Light, TUV, Eyesafe / WQUXGA (UHD+), IPS, 800nit, 100% DCI- P3, HDR400, Dolby Vision, X-Rite FCC, Low Blue Light, TUV, Eyesafe / WQXGA (QHD+) IPS, 500nit, 100% sRGB, 165Hz, X-Rite FCC, Low Blue Light, TUV WUXGA IPS, 300nit, 100% sRGB, X-Rite FCC, Low Blue Light, TUV
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6E AX211 with Bluetooth 5.3, 4G LTE CAT16 with eSIM WWAN (Optional), NFC (Optional)
- Security: dTPM 2.0, Self-healing BIOS, Touch Fingerprint Reader, ThinkPad Webcam Privacy Shutter, Kensington Lock Slot
- Ports: 2 x Thunderbolt 4, 2 x USB-A 3.2 Gen1, 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 HDMI 2.1, Mic/Headphone Jack, SD Express 7.0 Card Reader, Smart Card Reader (Optional)
- Dimensions: 364 x 266 x 30.23 mm
- Weight: From 2.95kg (6.5 pounds)