Irix is expanding its range of cine lenses with the new 30mm T1.5 lens. It rounds off the range of full-frame cinema lenses that were developed for recording with Ultra HD 8K cinema cameras.
The Irix 30mm T1.5 is based on a new optical design with a total of 13 elements in 11 groups, which comprises three glass elements with particularly low dispersion, two high-index elements, and an aspherical lens. This results in an extremely low distortion of 0.95%. The image circle of 43.3 mm (diagonal) covers every sensor size from full format 35 down to 1/3″ sensors. The circular, 11-blade diaphragm construction ensures a pleasant background blur and a stepless setting in the range from T1.5 to T16. The focus breathing effect of the Irix Cine 30mm T1.5 is extremely low at less than 1.5 degrees in the entire range from 0.3m to infinity.
The new 30mm cine lens fits in the Irix lineup between the 11 / 15mm wide-angle lenses and the normal and long focal lengths of 45mm and 150mm. It is therefore particularly suitable for use in documentaries and reports as well as interviews.
The Irix Cine 30mm lens has an 86mm front filter thread and a Mod 0.8 M-ring that ensures compatibility with most accessories on the market. The focus and aperture rings of all Irix lenses are aligned at the same distance and have the same angle of rotation. With the exception of the Irix 150mm T3.0 Macro 1: 1, which requires a longer focus ring of 270 degrees, the other lenses in the Irix Cine series have a ring rotation of 180 degrees for the focus ring and 75 degrees for the aperture ring. In addition, all Irix cine lenses are equipped with the Magnetic Mount System, which enables accessories such as magnetic filters from the Irix Edge series or a lens hood (not included) to be connected. The lenses are resistant to rain, sand, and dust.
The housing of the new 30mm T1.5 is made of a light but durable aluminum-magnesium alloy and has the same basic construction as the Blackstone camera lenses. Due to its low weight of around 1.1 kg, the 30mm T1.5 can be used on smaller cameras with handheld rigs or stabilizers as well as with professional equipment. All Irix Cine lenses are equipped with a lens support foot that can be attached to the lower or upper part of the lens as required.
Price and availability
The Irix Cine 30mm T1.5 lens will be available in the seven most popular mount types in the industry: Canon EF, Canon RF, Sony E, Nikon Z, Olympus / Panasonic Micro Four Thirds, and Arri PL-Mount. The pricing starts from $1,195 and $1,295 for the PL mount and is available to pre-order on the Adorama.com website.
Irix Cine 30mm T1.5 Specifications
- Focal length: 30 mm
- Aperture Range: T1.5 – T16
- Optical construction: 13 elements in 11 groups
- Format coverage: 36 x 24 mm
- Viewing angle: Full Frame 61.9 °, S-35mm s.39x 45.1 °, APS-C 1.53x 42.9 °, APS-C 1.62x 40.9 °, MFT 2.0x 32.2 °
- Number of Irix Blades: 11 (Rounded Shape)
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 13.39″ (0.34m)
- Aperture ring: 75 ° rotation angle, 110 grooves
- Focus ring: 180 ° rotation angle, 119 grooves
- Near limit: 0.34 m
- Filter diameter: ⦰ 86 x 1.0 mm
- Mounts: Arri PL, Canon EF, Canon RF, MFT, L Mount, Nikon Z, Sony E
- Dimensions: 99 x 97mm (Arri PL), 107 x 97mm (Canon EF), 130 x 97mm (Canon RF), 131 x 97mm (L-mount), 132 x 97mm (MFT), 135 x 97mm (Nikon Z), 133 x 97mm (Sony E)
- Weight: 1136 g (Arri PL), 1130 g (Canon EF), 1187 g (Canon RF), 1223 g (L-mount), 1215 g (MFT), 1227 g (MFT), 1191 g (Sony E)
Recently, The Zhong Yi Optics has also introduced four cine lenses with luminous intensity T.1.0 with different camera connections under the name “Mitakon Speedmaster”. Including 17mm and 25mm with MFT mount, 35mm with Canon RF, Fujifilm X, Sony E, and also Micro Four Thirds connection as well as 50mm for full format 35mm sensors with Canon EF and Arri PL mount.