The M is the epitome of Leica par excellence. As a handy and fast rangefinder camera, it has been the favorite of many professionals and enthusiasts since 1952 and can also be found in countless variants in collectors’ showcases. Now comes a new edition, the Leica M11, which has remained true to its basic concept and optical rangefinder system, but is electronically upgraded to the state-of-the-art with a new sensor with three selectable resolutions. Let see the Leica M11 price, features, and specs below:
The new Leica M11 combines traditional rangefinder photography with the latest camera technology. The heart of the new M generation is a full-format BSI CMOS sensor with triple resolution technology. Raw files in DNG format or as JPEGs can be created with a resolution of 60, 36, or 18 megapixels. 60 megapixels stand for the Leica M‘s highest resolution of details and image quality, while the lower resolutions are preferably used for faster working with the camera, longer series of images, and smaller files.
A combined IR and UV blocking filter made of two particularly thin glasses cemented together also corrects extremely obliquely incident light rays particularly effectively. A new color filter array ensures improved and more natural color reproduction. The sensitivity ranges from ISO 64 to 50,000, the color depth is recorded with a resolution of 14 bits and, the dynamic range reaches up to 15 f-stops.
With the Maestro III processor, the Leica M11 achieves a fluid and responsive working method even with the highest resolution and image quality, even with an optional electronic shutter. This enables extremely short exposure times of up to 1/16,000 seconds for pictures with a wide-open aperture in bright light and, for the first time in an M, also enables multi-field exposure metering in rangefinder mode.
The handling of the Leica M11 has also been greatly improved in many respects compared to its predecessor. Rearranged and redesigned controls frame the new high-resolution touch display with 2.3 million pixels and a brightness of 800 nits. The M11 is also based on the proven operating concept and menu structure of the Leica SL2 and Q2, which are known for their clarity.
The top cap of the black version of the Leica M11 is made of high-quality aluminum with a particularly scratch-resistant coating, which results in a weight saving of around 20% or 100 grams compared to brass. The top cap of the 640 gram, classic silver chrome version is made of brass as before. The battery and memory card can now be removed directly and are no longer hidden under a removable base plate. In addition to the SD card slot, an internal memory with 64GB is available and, enables the parallel storage of image data on two storage media with an M camera for the first time. With 1800mAh, the battery stores 64 percent more energy than before and, together with its energy-saving mode of operation, helps the camera to take significantly longer recording sessions without changing the battery. In addition, the new USB-C port can also be used to charge the battery with most USB-C chargers.
Improved connectivity features for the Leica M11 will be available in the second half of 2022 with a new firmware version. This will provide the new M11’s advanced connectivity features, optimizing the photographer’s mobile workflow and adding the ability to embed location data, access images via a Bluetooth connection, and ensure higher transfer rates to the Leica FOTOS app. In addition, the Leica M11 is already a certified Apple “Made for iPhone and iPad” accessory and, as such offers unique possibilities with the supplied Leica FOTOS cable.
The new Visoflex 2 attachable viewfinder is available as an accessory for the Leica M11. With a resolution of 3.7 megapixels, it enables image control in Live View mode. Housed in a metal housing, the Visoflex 2 is functional and designed to match the features of the M11. It offers a wide diopter adjustment range from -4 to +3 and can be swiveled by up to 90 degrees. The optional handgrip for the M11 improves ergonomics while keeping access to the battery and memory card free. It is also shaped in such a way that the Leica M11 can be mounted on tripod heads according to the Arca Swiss standard without any additional accessories.
Leica M11 price and release date
Leica M11 specifications
- Lens Mount: Leica M
- Sensor Type: 35.8 x 23.9 mm (Full-Frame) CMOS
- Sensor Resolution Effective: 60.3 Megapixel (9528 x 6328)
- Crop Factor: None
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2
- Image File Format: DNG, JPEG
- Bit Depth: 14-Bit
- Image Stabilization: None
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 64 to 50000
- Shutter Speed: Mechanical Shutter – 1/4000 to 60 Seconds; 1 to 60 Minutes / Electronic Shutter – 1/16000 to 60 Seconds
- Metering Method: Center-Weighted Average, Multi-Zone, Spot
- Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual
- Exposure Compensation: -3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)
- White Balance: Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Warm White), Manual, Shade, Tungsten
- Continuous Shooting: Up to 4.5 fps at 60.3 MP for up to 15 Frames (Raw) / 100 Frames (JPEG) / Up to 4.5 fps at 36 MP for up to 30 Frames (Raw) / Up to 4.5 fps at 18 MP for Unlimited Frames (Raw)
- Interval Recording: Yes
- Self-Timer: 2/12-Second Delay
- Focus Type: Manual Focus Only
- Magnification: Approx. 0.73x
- Monitor: Size 2.95″
- Resolution: 2,332,800 Dot
- Display Type: Fixed Touchscreen LCD
- Built-In Flash: No
- Maximum Sync Speed: 1/180 Second
- Flash Compensation: -3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)
- Dedicated Flash System: TTL
- External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe
- Interface: Media/Memory Card Slot Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II), Internal Memory 64 GB
- Connectivity: USB Type-C (USB 3.1), Wi-Fi,
- Operating Temperature: 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C
- Battery Type: 1 x BP-SCL7 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.4 VDC, 1800 mAh (Approx. 700 Shots)
- Dimensions: 139 x 80 x 38.5 mm
- Weight: 1.2 lb / 530 g (Body with Battery) / 1 lb / 455 g (Body Only)