Rokinon has unveiled its new Rokinon 14mm T3.1 DSX wide angle cine lens. This new edition expands the line of cine lenses introduced last year. As you would expect, this lens has received a large amount of mount compatibility: Canon EF, Canon RF, Fujifilm X, Micro Four Thirds, Sony E, and Nikon F mounts.
In addition to being a fully manual lens, the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 DSX also belongs to the budget line of cine lenses, and according to the manufacturer, it is designed primarily for low-budget studios and content creators who need high-quality affordable solutions.
One of the features of the new DSX line is its compactness. The canon wide angle lens installed on the camera will allow the use of various additional stabilizing systems. The lens is only 12.9mm long and weighs 692.8 grams.
As for the optical design of the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 DSX, it consists of 14 elements in 10 groups. Moreover, the design uses four types of special lenses: one aspherical lens (to reduce spherical aberrations), three elements with a high refractive index, one of which is a hybrid aspherical, and two with ultra-low dispersion. Thanks to these elements, according to the manufacturer, the lens allows you to achieve high-quality images.
It is also worth noting that the lens has a 9-blade aperture for smooth and round bokeh, and at closed apertures, the 14mm T3.1 DSX0 “draws” stars with 18 beams.
In addition, the wide an0gle lens has a close focusing distance of just 28cm and the lens barrel is weatherproof. This is especially true of the most vulnerable gap between the lens and the camera mount. It also clarifies that the Canon RF mount version is equipped with a rear filter holder.
Price and availability
The cost of the Rokinon 14mm T3.1 DSX lens is $499 and is now available to pre-order on the Bhphotovideo.com website.
Rokinon 14mm T3.1 DSX Specifications
- Focal Length: 14mm
- Lens Mount: Canon EF, Canon RF, Fuji X, MFT, Nikon F, Sony E
- Format: Full Frame (Canon EF, Canon RF, Nikon F, Sony E), Super35/APS-C (Fuji X), MFT
- Maximum T-Stop: T3.1
- Minimum T-Stop: T22
- Diagonal Angle of View: Full Frame: 115.7°, Super35: 98.4°, APS-C (1.6x): 89.1°/92.5°, MFT: 72.7°,
- Minimum Focus Distance: From Unspecified Point in Lens: 11.02″ / 27.99 cm
- Iris Blades: 9
- Gear MOD & Pitch: Focus: 0.8 MOD / 32 Pitch, Iris: 0.8 MOD / 32 Pitch
- Front Diameter: 87 mm
- Focus Scales: Metric, Imperial
- Focus Rotation: 250°
- Iris Rotation: 36°
- Length: 96.1 mm (Canon EF), 121.1 mm (Canon RF), 123.4 mm (Fuji X), 120.9 mm (MFT), 93.6 mm (Nikon F), 122.1 mm (Sony E)
- Weight: 650.2 g (Canon EF), 746.4 g (Canon RF), 697.4 g (Fuji X), 692.8 g (MFT), 639.6 g (Nikon F), 711.2 g (Sony E)
Continuing the theme of lenses for filmmaking, let us remind you that the manufacturer of optics and related photo accessories, Sirui Optical, announced the start of sales of its third anamorphic lens on the Bhphotovideo.com website. This is the Sirui 24mm F2.8 Anamorphic 1.33x wide-angle lens, which was announced last December 2020.