With the Nokia C12, HMD Global has introduced the latest best budget smartphone that is supposed to offer a solid user experience at an attractive price, which is made possible not least by the Android 12 (Go edition). However, compromises were made with the hardware.
The brand-new Nokia C12 is positioned as a budget mid range phone to the Nokia C21 (approx. £112 on Amazon). The large chin under the display makes it clear that this is a comparatively cheap device, and the camera module on the back is significantly larger than it would have to be for just one camera.
Technically, the latest best budget smartphone is based on a Unisoc 9863A1, which offers eight ARM Cortex-A55 computing cores with clock frequencies of up to 1.6 GHz. HMD Global also uses 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of flash memory, which can be expanded using a microSD card. So that the user interface runs smoothly despite this meager equipment, Android 12 (Go edition) is used, which requires 20 percent less storage space and is supposed to enable 30 percent faster app starts.
The 6.3-inch display only offers 720p+ resolution, but it’s even more surprising that HMD Global uses a small 3,000 mAh battery for the C12 Nokia mobile, which is also charged via Micro-USB instead of USB-C.
The NokiaC12 has a 5 MP front camera and an 8 MP main camera that supports Auto HDR, a night mode, and a portrait mode including bokeh simulation. The Nokia C12 does not have a fingerprint sensor but instead offers face recognition. Since this is only based on a 2D camera, users who prioritize security are better off using a password.
Price and availability
The latest best budget smartphone Nokia C12 is now available for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk in Charcoal color for a suggested retail price of £99.99 and will be released on March 29, 2023.
Nokia C12 specs
- Display: 6.3-inch (1600 × 720 pixels) HD+ V-notch 20:9 display with 2D Toughened glass
- CPU: 1.6GHz Octa-Core Unisoc SC9863A processor
- GPU: IMG8322 GPU
- RAM/ROM: 2GB RAM, 64GB (eMMC 5.1) storage, expandable memory with microSD
- OS: Android 12 Go Edition
- Features: Dust and splash proof (IP52), Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD), 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- Rear camera: 8MP rear camera with LED Flash
- Front camera: 5MP front-facing camera
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS + GLONASS, micro USB port
- Battery: 3000mAh (typical) removable battery
- Dimensions: 160.6 x 74.3 x 8.75mm
- Weight: 177.4g
Samsung has also introduced the latest addition to their Galaxy A 2023 series in the UK market, the Galaxy A54 5G (Hands-On). This device is the most advanced version of the A series, and it’s already turning heads with its stunning design, impressive screen, excellent camera, and accessible price.