In spring 2015, Nikon introduced the Coolpix P900, a super zoom camera with 84x zoom factor and 24-2000mm focal length. Now along with the D780 DSLR, the company also announced the successor with the Nikon Coolpix P950 comes with some specs adapted or improved over time. The new Nikon Coolpix camera also supports 4K-UHD / 30p, has a larger, higher-resolution viewfinder with 2.36 million points (P900: 201,000) in contemporary OLED technology and masters the recording of photos in raw format NRW. An accessory shoe was also added.
The new Nikon P950 is very impressive with 83x optical zoom complements for the Nikon’s bridge cameras. This robust super zoom camera is a further development of the Coolpix P900 mentioned. With additional up-to-date features, Nikon cameras Coolpix makes it easy to record even distant subjects in full format and with all details as 16MP photos and 4K UHD videos.
With a zoom of 1:2.8 to 1:6.5, the Coolpix P950 is an attractive photo tool for everyone who wants to photograph birds, wild animals or planes. The 83x optical zoom covers a large focal length range, which ranges from 24 to 2000 mm in relation to 35 mm images. As with the P900, the telephoto focal length can be expanded to an impressive 4000 mm with the 166x “Dynamic Fine Zoom”. Even pictures with a strong zoom benefit from the sharp imaging performance.
Videographers can now record 4K UHD videos with difficult-to-capture subjects, adjust the most important exposure settings during filming and thus react to changing lighting conditions. The Coolpix P950 can also take photos in raw format (NRW), which gives users more options when it comes to image processing. An accessory shoe enables the use of a Nikon flash unit, the DF-M1 point sight, an external microphone, and other accessories.
Nikon Coolpix P950 Features
- Super zoom: 83x optical zoom (24 to 2000 mm according to 35 mm format) and with 166x dynamic fine zoom up to 4000 mm. (The magnification of the dynamic fine zoom is calculated based on the maximum wide-angle setting of the optical zoom).
- Bright NIKKOR lens: Luminous intensity from 1: 2.8 to 1: 6.5 and Super ED glass to reduce distortion with a high zoom factor.
- Exceptional images: CMOS sensor with 16 megapixels and rear exposure, fast image processor EXPEED and optical image stabilizer (VR) with dual-detect technology.
- Raw format (new): Save uncompressed raw files (NRW format) for more options in image processing.
- 4K UHD video (new): Video recordings in 4K UHD / 30p (3840 x 2160 px) or Full HD videos (1080 / 60p) with frame rates of up to 60 fps are easier than ever. Recording with stereo sound is possible as well as adjusting the most important exposure settings while recording.
- Internal time-lapse function: Recording of time-lapse videos with a length of approx. 10 seconds, playback at 25 or 30 frames / s.
- Tilting and rotating LCD (larger): The bright 3.2-inch LCD monitor with 921,000 pixels can be tilted and rotated in almost any direction.
- OLED viewfinder (new, better, bigger, higher resolution): Large electronic OLED viewfinder with a 1 cm screen diagonal, 2.36 million pixels and eye sensor.
- Comfortable zoom switch: The large handle, the side zoom switch and the button for quick zoom reset ensure quiet handling.
- SnapBridge: With Nikon’s SnapBridge connectivity, photos can be automatically transferred to a smart device as soon as they are taken, so that they can be shared immediately. With SnapBridge, smart devices can also be used for remote triggering. (For SnapBridge compatibility, the latest version of Nikon’s SnapBridge app for iOS or Android must be installed on a compatible smart device so that SnapBridge can be used with this camera.)
- Standard ISO accessories (new): For Nikon accessories such as flashes, microphones or Nikon’s DF-M1 Dot Sight (a foldable scope that can even be used to track flying birds quickly) as well as all other accessories with a suitable foot.
Price and availability
The Nikon Coolpix P950 is already available to pre-order at the Bhphotovideo.com store and can be shipped from early February 2020 at a suggested retail price of $796.95.