Nikon today introduces a professional telephoto zoom lens for the mirrorless Z cameras along with the D780 and Coolpix P950 cameras. The Nikkor Z 70-200mm F2.8 VR S is a robust telephoto zoom lens with an elaborate lens construction, the imaging performance of which, according to Nikon, is comparable to that of fixed focal length lenses.
The Nikkor Z 70-200mm F2.8 VR S fast full-frame second lens with a constant f/2.8 aperture, after the Nikkor Z 24-70mm f/2.8S for Nikon Z mirrorless cameras. A specialized-dispersion glass lens featuring characteristics that greatly refract light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue.
The new telephoto zoom is particularly versatile in sports, events, and reports and is suitable as a representative of the S series for both photos and videos. The autofocus works quickly, evenly and silently. According to Nikon, the sharpness in the entire image section is “outstanding” – even when shooting with an open aperture. “Focus Breathing” should be almost completely eliminated from video recordings. The telephoto zoom is characterized by ergonomic handling and a comprehensive seal against weather influences. The combination of the new Nikon SR glass and the ED glass reduces color errors and thus ensures high imaging performance.
NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Features
• Professional telephoto zoom lens for the Z-mount: Large focal length range from 70 to 200 mm with a continuous light intensity of 1:2.8.
• Outstanding performance: sharpness and contrast are exceptional in the entire image section. According to Nikon, the focus works smoothly, quickly and silently.
• Elaborate optical construction with 21 elements in 18 groups, with Nikon ED and SR glass as well as ARNEO and nano crystal coating. Color errors, coma, ghosting, and stray light are significantly minimized, according to Nikon.
• Suitable for video recordings: Focus Breathing has been almost completely eliminated. The aperture is controlled with high precision so that the exposure is adjusted naturally within one setting.
• OLED display: aperture value, distance setting, exact focal length, ISO and depth of field can be easily read directly on the lens.
• Function key (Fn): Up to 21 different functions can be assigned to the function key (Fn) of the lens, eg AF measurement memory, exposure bracketing and much more.
• Robust, compact design with extensive sealing to protect against dust and moisture.
Price and Availability
The Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Lens is now available to pre-order via Bhphotovideo store for $2,596.95 and is expected to be available in February 2020.