The new RED Komodo Canon RF cinema camera is now available for pre-order. In particular, in the popular Bhphotovideo.com online store has listed the new box camera in Black color, pricing starts from $5,995 for the body only, Starter pack for $7,200, and $8,200 for the Production pack.
According to the stated specifications, the RED Komodo box camera has a Super35 format sensor with a dynamic range of 16 stops. The device also received a Global Shutter.
The camera received a phase-detection autofocus system. RED also published a video demonstration of Komodo autofocus capability. At the same time, it was reported that in the future, the autofocus system will also be improved with the release of a software update.
The RED Komodo 6K camera has an ultra-compact body, weighs just 2.1 lb, and measures about 4 x 4 x 4″. It has a 19.9MP Super 35mm CMOS sensor which boasts Global Shutter technology. This sensor can create images with 16+ stops dynamic range and eliminates rolling shutter artifacts. Users can also be certain they are getting RED quality thanks to the ability to record up to 6K at 40 fps, 5K at 40 fps, 4K at 60 fps, and 2K at 120 fps in REDCODE RAW for incredible flexibility in post-production.
The box camera also features Phase-Detect Autofocus (PDAF) with compatible lenses. This includes adapted Canon EF-mount lenses used with a separately available EF-to-RF adapter with electronic communication.
RED Komodo Features
- 6K Super35 19.9MP CMOS sensor with a dynamic range of 16+ stops and a resolution of 6144 x 3160
- The KOMODO 6K’s global shutter produces crisp images while reducing motion artifacts
- Weighing just over 2 lb, the KOMODO 6K’s power options include using two lightweight Canon BP-9 batteries, a larger battery, or an AC power supply
- Capture at rates up to 280 MB/s on RED PRO or qualified third-party CFast 2.0 cards
- The robust REDCODE RAW file format offers the versatility without burdensome storage requirements and editing on many NLE systems without transcoding to save time
- For proxy files or quicker turnaround times than raw files, Apple ProRes can be recorded at 4K and 2K resolutions at rates up to 120 fps (2K)
- Supports 3D LUTs and RED color science
- Integrated 2.9″ touchscreen LCD display for video preview and camera control
Today, Panasonic has also introduced its first box camera Lumix BGH1 4K cinema camera in the Micro Four Thirds system. It can be combined and flexibly expanded to the extensive range of Micro Four Thirds lenses.