MOTU brings its UltraLite Mini USB Audio interface into the fifth generation. UltraLite-mk5 continues to rely on generous features, low latencies, and high compatibility. A few new features make the interface even more appealing – for both the studio and the stage.
A total of 18 inputs and 22 outputs result in 40 channels that can be used simultaneously – a lot can be done with that. There is also no lack of MIDI input and output, so you are equipped for all tasks. In the feature list, you can see exactly how the In / Outs are divided. It has to be emphasized again that the 10 line outputs (just like with the mk3 / mk4) are DC-coupled. This means that you can also output CV signals to modular systems, Ableton Live supports this with CV tools, for example.
Compared to the previous mini USB audio interface models, you can now connect the UltraLite-mk5 via USB-C. A high-resolution OLED display shows all level meters and other information, it looks very nice! MOTU continues to rely on the ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC technology, the ES9026PRO DAC promises an overall improved dynamic range. Anyone who makes podcasts or streams is happy about the loopback function. New drivers should enable an even lower latency. The manufacturer speaks of a Round Trip Latency (RTL) of 2.4 milliseconds in USB operation with 96 kHz and a buffer of 32 samples.
As a software command center, MOTU contributes the revised CueMix 5. You have direct monitoring, the creation of individual monitor mixes or effects such as parametric 4-band EQ, gate, compressor, or reverb under control. CueMix 5 runs on Windows 10 as well as macOS and iOS. Nothing stands in the way of touch-based operation. On top of that, there is Performer Lite 10 with over 100 virtual instruments and 6 GB of loops and samples from various manufacturers.
- USB-C connection
- ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC technology
- 24 bit / 44.1 – 192 kHz
- 125 dB dynamic range at the output
- Level displays for all analog inputs/outputs
- OLED display
- 2 microphone / line / Hi-Z inputs via XLR / jack combo socket
- Gain control and 48V phantom power for both microphone inputs
- 10 DC-coupled line outputs via 6.3 mm stereo jack
- 6 line inputs via 6.3 mm stereo jack
- digital inputs / outputs via ADAT (8 channels) or Optical S / PDIF (2-channel)
- MIDI In / Out
- Headphone output via 6.3 mm jack with independent volume control
- DSP-controlled 22 x 6 monitor mixer including reverb, parametric 4-band equalizer, and dynamic effects
- Loopback for mixing computer audio, live streaming, and podcasting
- iOS compatible (USB Class Compliant)
- System requirements: Windows 7 or higher, USB Class Compliant for plug-and-play operation on the Mac
- Incl.MOTU Performer Lite 10
Price and availability
Recently, Audient has also shown two new audio interfaces and an inexpensive entry-level package. iD4 MKII and iD14 MKII improve the cheap audio interface models in some places. The EVO Start Recording Bundle includes the EVO 4 audio interface, the M ikrofon SR 1, the studio headphones SR2000, and matching accessories.