It took a little longer than originally announced, but the first PC with a flexible screen is finally on the market: The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold can be the starting point for a new category of PCs – even if it doesn’t break any sales records for the time being.
It is not common for a manufacturer to issue two press releases at the same time, just announcing that a product is now available for pre-order. However, it fits the Lenovo X1 Fold, because Lenovo clearly sees it as a special product. It probably is: After all, it is the first PC with a foldable display and at the same time a new model in Lenovo’s well-known ThinkPad X1 series.
The summer was actually planned as the publication period. It’s now autumn because the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold is available for pre-order now on the Bhphoto store. The first foldable should be delivered towards the end of October.
According to Lenovo, the delay was used to improve some aspects of the design. For example, the material of the screen frame has been adapted or the kickstand design has been changed slightly. The pen holder is now no longer attached to the Lenovo X1 Fold itself, but to the small Bluetooth keyboard.
If you are interested in the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold, you should probably not wait too long. In the second press release, which deals exclusively with the ThinkPad X1 Fold, Lenovo Vice President Jerry Paradise writes that the ThinkPad X1 Fold is specifically a limited edition – Lenovo will not produce an extremely large number of units.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold price and availability
In US, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold price starts from $2,498.85 on the Bhphotovideo.com website. It contains a foldable 4:3 screen as well as Intel’s Lakefield Hybrid CPUs.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold Specifications
- Display: 13.3″ Flexible OXGA OLEO 4:3 (2048 x 1536. 300nit) DCI-P3 95% Touch
- CPU: Intel Core Processor with Intel Hybrid Technology
- OS: Windows 10 Pro
- GPU: Intel UHD 11 Gen Graphics
- Camera: 5MP HD RGB + IR camera
- Memory: 8GB LPIDDR4X 4267MHz
- Storage: Up to 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 2242 SSD
- Battery: Up toll 11 hours, 50Whr battery
- I/O Ports: 1x USB Type C Gen 1, 1x USB Type C Gen 2, 1x SIM card
- Connectivity: WiFi 6 WLAN 802.11 AX, 5G sub 6G hz with 4G LTE (CAT20) coverage, Bluetooth 5.1
- Docking: USB-C docking
- Audio: Dolby Atmos Speaker System
- Keyboard: Lenovo Fold Mini Keyboard, Bluetooth and wirelessly charged
- Pen: Active Pen
- Dimensions: Unfolded:299.4 x 236.0 x 11.5 mm / Folded:158.2 x 236.0 x 27.8 mm
- Weight: 999g / 2.2Ibs
Lenovo recently expanded its Mini PCs series. The new IdeaCentre Mini 5i can be equipped with a current Intel Comet Lake processor with up to eight cores and 32 GB of RAM. Despite the compact miniPC size, the manufacturer has installed a decent selection of connections.