Venus Optics has unveiled the updated Laowa 15mm F4.5R Zero-D Shift lens. It is an R version of the existing Laowa 15mm F4.5 Zero-D Shift lens was introduced in May 2021.
The new lens features a 14-blade aperture (compared to a 5-blade aperture in the standard version), resulting in a softer bokeh effect.
The angle of view of the Laowa 15mm F4.5R Zero-D Shift lens is 110°. At the same time, the lens allows you to work with both full-frame and medium format cameras.
The maximum possible amount of shift is ±11 mm for full-frame cameras, and ±8 mm for medium format cameras (eg Fujifilm GFX/Hasselblad X1D).
By shifting the lens, perspective distortion can be corrected so that lines that appear to converge at a distance straighten out. That is especially useful when photographing architecture such as tall buildings.
Similar optics can be used when shooting movies or videos. It allows you to get unique shots that cannot be repeated using standard optics.
The new Laowa 15mm F4.5R Zero-D Shift lens consists of 17 elements arranged in 11 groups. And two of them are aspherical. This optical design allows you to suppress distortion at the edges of the frame.
Price and availability
The Venus Optics Laowa 15mm F4.5R Zero-D Shift lens is finally available to pre-order via Bhphotovideo.com store for $1,199.
Laowa 15mm F4.5R Zero-D specifications
- Focal length: 15mm
- Aperture range: F/4.5-22
- Angle of view: 110°
- Aperture blades: 14 blades
- Maximum magnification: 0.2x
- Minimum focusing distance : 20cm Focusing
- Method: Manual (MF)
- Dimensions: approx. Ø 79mm x 103mm
- Weight : 597 grams
- Shift capability: Full frame: ±11mm shift/Medium format: ±8mm shift
- Lens structure: 17 elements in 11 groups (2 aspherical elements and 3 ED elements)
- Mount: Canon EF and RF / Nikon F and Z / Sony E / Pentax K / L-mount / Fujifilm G