Lenovo is rolling out updates to its ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 7. The 14-inch Lenovo 2 in 1 laptop is based on last year’s designs – the new features are an OLED display, a better webcam, and Intel Alder-Lake U15 or P28.
Choices: these are one of the main characteristics of the ThinkPad brand. No matter which model is chosen, there are always many different options. That can be a great thing, but it can also be confusing for the customer. In the case of the new ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 7, it remains to be seen whether the new option will confuse or enrich customers: Unlike the ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6, which was equipped with Tiger Lake UP3 CPUs, the 2022 convertible notebook has two Choices of Alder Lake variants: Alder Lake U15 and Alder Lake P28. The maximum number of cores is 14, which points to the P28 top model with six high-performance and eight low-power cores.
In order to cool the chips with higher TDP, Lenovo tries to improve the cooling system. The big change in this area is the new keyboard design. X1 Yoga Gen 7 can draw in cold air through vents under the keyboard. Apart from the new processors, the upcoming ThinkPad laptop also offers LPDDR5 memory, which here replaces the LPDDR4X RAM of the predecessors.
In order to gain more space for the new cameras, Lenovo has slightly adjusted the layout of its ThinkPads. The ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 7 now has a “reverse notch” that houses the new 1080p webcams with f/2.0 aperture and a 1.4μm sensor. According to Lenovo, the new camera should work better, especially in low-light situations.
Below the webcam is the 14-inch display in 16:10 format. Lenovo keeps the most popular options from its predecessors, the low-power display, but at the same time, there are new options. Lenovo is bringing OLED display back to the ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 7. The 2in1 laptop has a WQUXGA OLED display (3840×2400) that is supposed to achieve a brightness value of 500 cd/m².
Price and Availability
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7 specifications
- CPU: 12th Gen Intel Core i vPro, Alder-Lake U15 & P28, up to 14 cores
- GPU: Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- OS: Up to Windows 11 Pro, Linux Ubuntu, Windows 10 Pro preinstalled via Windows 11 Pro downgrade rights
- Webcam: FHD RGB f/2.0 1.4μm, ThinkShutter / FHD RGB f/2.0 1.4μm + IR, ThinkShutter / FHD + IR MIPI w/Computervision, ThinkShutter
- RAM: Up to 32 GB LPDDR5 (on board)
- Storage: Up to 2 TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD
- Display: 14 inch, 16:10 aspect ratio, WUXGA IPS Low Power Touch + Wacom-AES, 400 cd/m², 100 % sRGB
- Ports: 2x Thunderbolt 4, 2x USB A 3.2 Gen1, 1x HDMI 2.0b, 3.5mm Audio
- Battery: 57 Wh, Rapid Charge
- Security: Match-on-Chip FPR in Power Button, dTPM 2.0, Nano Kensington Lock Slot
- Input: Full size keyboard, 1.5mm travel, backlit, 110mm Glass Trackpad, TrackPoint w/buttons
- Audio: Dolby Atmos Speaker System, Dolby Voice, Quad Array Mics Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, 4G LTE CAT 16, 5G CAT 20, NFC
- Chassis: 1.38 kg, 314.4 x 222.3 x 15.53 mm, Aluminum Top, Aluminum Bottom