Motorola unveiled the next-gen Moto G Play 2023. The inexpensive mid-range Motorola G Play 2023 smartphone has a higher-resolution triple camera and a 90 Hz display, but the processor is significantly slower than the previous model.
Motorola is relaunching the G Play and giving the inexpensive mid-range smartphone a more modern design with a punch hole and a rectangular camera module. Judging by the pictures, the chin under the display is even a bit thicker. As usual, Motorola installs a 6.5-inch IPS panel in 20:9 format with a resolution of 1,600 x 720 pixels.
The image frequency of the new panel is at least 90 Hz instead of the 60 Hz of the previous model. However, the Motorola G Play 2023 also gets a massive downgrade in the latest version, because the Qualcomm Snapdragon 460 is replaced by a MediaTek Helio G37, which with eight Cortex-A53 cores with clock frequencies of up to 2.3 GHz is just a little more than half of the Performance of the Snapdragon 460 achieved. The Moto G Play will also lack 5G in 2023.
The 5-megapixel selfie camera is retained, and the main camera is upgraded from 13 MP to 16 MP. In addition, the new model has two 2 MP sensors. The battery has a capacity of 5,000 mAh and is charged via USB-C with up to 10 watts. Motorola installs a fingerprint sensor in the logo on the back. The housing is made of plastic, with an IP52 certification, it is only protected against light splashes of water.
Motorola Moto G Play 2023 price and release date
The Motorola Moto G Play (2023) is offered in the US with 3 GB of RAM and 32 GB of flash memory for $169.99 on Bestbuy.com. The smartphone is still delivered with Android 12.
Motorola G Play 2023 specifications
- Display: 6.5-inch HD+ (1600 x 720 Pixels) MaxVision 20:9 aspect ratio display, 90Hz refresh rate
- CPU: Octa Core MediaTek Helio G37 12nm processor
- GPU: IMG PowerVR GE8320 GPU
- RAM + ROM: 3GB RAM, 32GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- OS: Android 12 with My UX
- Rer camera: 16MP rear camera, 2MP depth and 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture
- Front camera: 5MP front camera with f/2.4 aperture
- Features: Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, 3.5mm audio jack, Bottom-ported loudspeaker, Water-repellent design (IP52)
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5, GPS, USB Type-C
- Battery: 5000mAh battery with 10W charging
- Dimensions: 167.24 x 76.54 x 9.36mm
- Weight: 203g
Motorola recently introduced Moto Edge 30 Neo mid-range smartphone that is supposed to impress with a 120 Hz pOLED display, a 64 MP dual camera, and a 68-watt quick charge function. It has been priced at $509.