The brand new Motorola Edge 2022 offers exciting features, including a 144 Hz OLED display, a desktop mode, and a 50-megapixel triple camera at a mid-range price.
The Motorola Edge 2022 looks very similar to the Edge 30 Pro (approx. $754 / £589.21 on Amazon ) at first glance, but there are a few compromises in terms of equipment in favor of the price. Above all, Motorola swaps the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 for a MediaTek Dimensity 1050, the Moto Edge 2022 is offered with 6 GB to 8 GB RAM and 128 GB to 256 GB flash memory.
The battery is slightly larger with a capacity of 5,000 mAh, but it can only be charged with up to 30 watts via USB-C, or wirelessly with a maximum of 15 watts. One of the highlights of the equipment is the 6.6-inch 1,080p+ OLED display, which achieves a refresh rate of 144 Hz and a peak brightness of 1,300 nits. To extend battery life, the frame rate can be reduced to 60 Hz. The smartphone comes with My UX based on Android 12.
The software offers a desktop mode, similar to Samsung DeX so that an external monitor can be connected to use multiple apps at the same time. Motorola also saved on the case, which is only IP52-certified and therefore only protected against water splashes, but not waterproof. The Motorola Edge 2022 has a 50 MP main camera, a 13 MP ultra wide-angle camera with macro function, and a 2 MP depth camera. The selfie camera offers a resolution of 32 MP.
Price and release date
The Motorola Edge 2022 is finally available to pre-order on Amazon.com for $499 and will be released on September 22, 2022.
Motorola Edge 2022 specifications
- Display: 6.6-inch (2400 ×1080 pixels) FHD+ OLED 144Hz display, HDR10+, 10-bit colour space
- CPU: Octa Core (4x Cortex-A78 @ 2.5GHz 4x Cortex-A55 @ 2GHz) MediaTek Dimensity 1050 6nm processor
- GPU: Arm Mali-G610 MC3 GPU
- RAM & ROM: 8GB RAM with 256GB storage
- OS: Android 12 with MyUX
- Rear camera: 50MP sensor with f/1.8 aperture, Quad Pixel Technology, OIS, 13MP ultra-wide camera with macro mode, f/1.5 aperture, 2MP depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture
- Front camera: 32MP front camera with f/2.25 aperture, Quad Pixel Technology
- Features: In-display fingerprint scanner, Stereo speakers, 3 Microphones, Water resistant (IP52)
- Connectivity: 5G sub-6 + mmWave, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11ax (2.4GHz/5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS, USB Type-C, NFC
- Battery: 5000mAh battery with 30W TurboPower fast charging, 15W wireless charging, 5W reverse wireless charging
- Dimensions: 160.86×74.24×7.99 mm
- Weight: 170g
Recently, Motorola introduced a new 5G smartphone Moto G62 5G which comes with a 120 Hz display, a triple camera with 50 megapixels, the Snapdragon 480+, and is priced at $355 and £199.99.