The Asus Chromebook Flip CX5 (CX5400FMA-DN388T-S) is a powerful and well-equipped touchscreen Chromebook based on an Intel processor. The stylus is located directly in the touchscreen laptop.
Chromebooks are typically the only equipped notebooks that use Chrome OS. Chromebooks are particularly well-suited to rather a problem-free completion of simple tasks such as text editing compared to highly demanding applications such as professional video editing – not least because the associated software is sometimes unavailable.
With the Asus Flip CX5, Asus has presented a touchscreen Chromebook that is atypical due to its equipment. Specifically, the Chromebook Asus comes with an Intel Core i7-1160G7 equipped with four computing cores. The clock rate is up to 4.4 GHz. The main memory measures 16 gigabytes, the internal memory is 512 gigabytes in size. No eMMC storage is used, but an M.2 NVMe SSD.
Two Thunderbolt 4 connections are available for connecting external devices as well as displays, which can also supply connected devices with electrical energy via Power Delivery. There is also a USB 3.2 Gen 1 connection, which is type A. The card reader accepts microSD memory cards. The equipment includes a backlit keyboard and a speaker setup from Harman Kardon.
The 14-inch display can be operated both with the finger and with the USI stylus, which can be stored in the housing, and has a resolution of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. The brightness is given as 300 cd/m².
It can be used both as a classic laptop and as a tablet with the keyboard folded behind the screen. The battery life is estimated by the manufacturer at up to 10 hours, the Chromebook is supposed to withstand falls thanks to the aluminum case and is certified according to MIL-STD 810H.
Price and availability
The 1.4-kilogram Asus touchscreen Chromebook (CX5400FMA-DN388T-S) is now available to buy from Amazon.com for $699.99 for the version with Intel Core i3-1110G4 processor, 128GB SSD, and 8GB RAM.
Asus Chromebook Flip CX5 Specifications
- Processor: 11th Gen Intel Core i3-1110G4 processor (Dual-core / 4 threads / 2.5Ghz – 3.9Ghz clock speed)
- GPU: Intel UHD Graphics GPU
- Display: 14-inch Full HD screen (Touch support / Glossy / 250nits / 100% sRGB / Stylus support)
- Memory: 8GB RAM (LPDDR4 on board)
- Storage: 128GB SSD (M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 SSD)
- Ports: 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A, 2x Thunderbolt 4 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C support display / power delivery, HDMI 2.0a, Micro SD card reader, 3.5mm combo audio jack
- Battery: 3-cell Li-ion 57WHrs
- Power supply: USB TYPE-C, 45W AC Adapter
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Bluetooth 5.0
- Audio: Harman/Kardon (Premium), Built-in array microphone, Built-in speaker with Smart Amp Technology
- Webcam: 720P HD Camera
- Weight: 3.10 lb ( 1.40 kg )
- Security: Titan C Security Chip
- Keyboard Type: Backlit Chiclet Keyboard with Num-key
Recently, Samsung has also introduced the new Samsung Galaxy Chromebook GO is powered by an Intel chip instead of the Arm-based Snapdragon that powers the Galaxy Book Go based on Windows 10 and is priced at $299.