Sony has unveiled the fifth iteration of its Xperia 1 flagship camera, complete with a 4K display in 21:9 format, headphone jack, micro SD card slot, and a dedicated camera shutter release. The new Sony Xperia1 V is not a complete overhaul of the previous model, but it boasts a radically new sensor technology in its main camera that delivers cinema-quality videos and dynamic photos, particularly in low light.
Following Google’s recent launch event, which included the Pixel Fold, Pixel Tablet, and Pixel 7a, Sony has introduced new hardware for photography enthusiasts. The Xperia 1 V is similar to its predecessor in most respects, but it features a Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor, 12 GB of RAM, and 256 GB of storage. It also comes with Gorilla Glass Victus 2 and a case that is inspired by the Sony Xperia Pro-I, with more grippy grooves on the edge.
While the ultra-wide angle and telephoto cameras with variable focal lengths remain the same, the main camera features a new sensor. Sony has introduced a 48-megapixel Exmor T sensor with 1/1.35 inch size, 2.24 µm pixels (at 12 MP photos with pixel binning), combined with Zeiss optics with T* coating, 84-degree viewing angle, 24 mm focal length equivalent, and F/1.9 aperture. The new stacked technology, in combination with modern AI processing, ensures twice the image quality compared to its predecessor, particularly in terms of dynamics, noise behavior, and color representation.
In terms of video, Sony not only supports 4K120 recordings with all three cameras but also S-Cinetone for cinematic films with “beautiful skin tones” – without any post-processing. The new Xperia 1 V also boasts Alpha camera features such as eye tracking and 30 fps burst shots.
Sony Xperia 1 V release date & price
The Sony Xperia1 V can be pre-ordered from May 11 for $1,398 and should be delivered by the end of June. Pre-orderers from Bhphotovideo.com will receive the B&H Photo Gift Card worth $50 & Sony WF-L900 LinkBuds (REVIEW) worth $138 / £109 free of charge.
Updated on May 12, 2023: now the Xperia 1 V is also available to pre-order on Amazon.com for $1,399 and will be released on July 28, 2023.
Sony Xperia 1 V specifications
- Display: 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz Motion blur reduction, 240Hz Touch scanning rate, Creator mode “powered by CineAlta”—Inspired by Master Monitor color reproduction, DCI-P3 100%, ITU-R BT.2020 (REC.2020), Illuminant D65 White point, 10-bit tonal gradation, X1 for mobile, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2 protection
- CPU: Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 740 GPU
- RAM/ROM: 12GB LPDDR5c RAM, 256GB (UFS 4.0) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- OS: Android 13
- Features: 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound19, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio, Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor, Dual SIM (nano + eSIM), Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dustproof (IP6X)
- Rear camera: 52MP rear camera with Exmor T sensor for mobile, 1/1.3.5″ sensor, f/1.9 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2″123° 16 mm ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.3 (85 mm 28° FoV), f/2.8 (125 mm 20° FoV) 1/3.5″ telephoto lens, 3.5-5x optical zoom, 15.6X hybrid zoom, ZEISS T* coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), Real-Time Tracking, 4K video recording
- Front camera: 12MP front-facing camera with 1/2.9″ Exmor RS mobile sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens, 4K video recording
- Connectivity: 5G (sub-6GHz / mmWave) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.3, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.2 Type-C
- Battery: 5000mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging, Battery Share function
- Dimensions:165 x 71 x 8.3 mm
- Weight: 187g