Updated on April 7th, 2021:
After a lot of preliminary information, the time has come: The Pentax K-3 Mark III is now officially announced as the new top model of the APS-C mirror reflex series from Pentax. Even more: Pentax K3 Mark III should be on the shelves as early as April 2021.
Inside the housing of the typical SLR design of the Pentax K-3 Mark III is a completely renewed interior. New is the bright prism viewfinder with 100% field of view and around 1.05 times magnification, then the 25-megapixel rear-lit BSI sensor in APS-C format, which in combination with the new imaging engine and accelerator unit provides high image quality with a particularly high-level Light sensitivity of ISO 1,600,000. Further equipment details are, for example, the Safox 13 autofocus system, image stabilization (IBIS) integrated into the housing, and the fast image sequence time of up to 12 images per second.
The ergonomic housing design with controls for different hand sizes and finger lengths has also been optimized. As with other Pentax SLR models, a high-strength aluminum housing makes the camera hard-wearing, and numerous seals ensure that it is weatherproof and cold-resistant.
Pentax K-3 Mark III Features
- Bright TTL prism viewfinder with 100% field of view and approx. 1.05-fold magnification
- 25.73 megapixel BSI sensor with a peak light sensitivity of ISO 1,600,000
- Pixel shift function for higher image quality
- Housing-integrated SR II System (IBIS)
- Safox 13 autofocus system with 101 focus sensors
- Pentax Real-time Scene Analysis System
- Sophisticated operating systems for image conversion
- High-resolution LCD monitor with intuitive touchscreen control
- High image frequency with up to 12 images/sec
- Video function with 4K Resolution
- Robust, weatherproof, and compact
- Pentax K bayonet – lens connection that has been tried and tested for generations
- Image and video processing as well as RAW development in the camera
- Camera control via the “Image Sync” app
- Information display on the top of the camera
- HDR recording function for implementing a higher contrast range
- High energy efficiency for up to 900 images with one battery charge
- Charging via USB -Cable – also from mobile power banks
- Programmable long exposure, up to 5 minutes in 10-second steps, then up to 20 minutes in minute steps
- Five memory locations for user settings
- Five individually programmable smart functions
- Interval shots up to 9999 shots
- Multiple exposures up to 20 shots
The Pentax K3 Mark III has an optical viewfinder with an almost 100% field of view and a magnification of 1.05 times. The high-index prism glass enables a wide eye relief and at the same time offers a wide field of vision. The brightness has been improved by almost 10 percent compared to the viewfinder of the Pentax K3 II.
A BSI sensor without an optical anti-aliasing filter was installed in the K-3 Mark III. This rear-exposed sensor, with an effective resolution of approx. 25.73 megapixels, works in conjunction with the new “Prime V” imaging engine and the newly designed accelerator unit for high image quality. This not only extends the dynamic range but also minimizes noise, even in the low or super high range. Thanks to the significant improvement in noise suppression, the new camera offers a light sensitivity of ISO 1,600,000.
Pixel shift function to expand the resolution. An improved image resolution is achieved through the slightest displacement of the sensor (pixel shift). The sensor is swiveled by one pixel up, down, left, and right, and the camera uses this to calculate a single image that can be saved as a JPEG or RAW file.
The phase comparison autofocus system Safox 13 is newly developed for the Pentax K3 Mark III. It has a total of 101 AF sensors, 25 of which are centrally positioned as cross-type sensors. In order to focus reliably even during night shots, three special sensors are arranged in the center, which already works at an EV of -4 EV. For the first time, the camera is equipped with a small joystick with which the individual focus points can be selected intuitively. The new AF system is supported by a new RGB-Ir image sensor with approx. 307,000 pixels and a newly developed image tracking algorithm.
The 3.2-inch LCD monitor with a resolution of approx. 1,620,000 pixels, is the first in the Pentax system to have a touchscreen with intuitive menu control and image zoom function when displaying images. The camera is equipped with a 4K video function. It records video clips in 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels; 30p / 24p frame rate) or Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels; 60p / 30p / 24p frame rate) in the H-264 recording format. There is a connection for a stereo microphone and headphones for the sound.
Battery grip D-BG8 is developed for the Pentax K3 Mark III which, as a dust-proof, weather-resistant construction, enables comfortable operation even for portrait format recordings. The battery grip is also operated with the D-LI90 rechargeable battery and doubles the number of shots to around 1,800. Charging is also carried out via the camera’s USB-C port.
Flash connector cover O-HC177 to protect the hot shoe and improve the look of the camera, there is an optionally available metal cover.
The K-BC177E fast charger for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries D-LI90, a discharged battery is fully recharged in approx. 150 minutes, which is faster than with the supplied charger K-BC90E. (Price: CHF 149.99)
The D-BC177 USB-C cable For charging on the go without the need to plug in an AC adapter, the USB-C cable can be charged.
Pentax K3 Mark III price and availability
The Pentax K-3 Mark III will be available in Black or Silver from April 2021. The recommended retail price is $2000. For the introduction, both versions are offered in a limited kit with a battery grip and an exclusive leather strap, and a second battery. The recommended retail price for the kit, which is limited to 1,000 pieces, is $2,300.
Last month, Ricoh Imaging has also announced an updated series of HD lenses the PENTAX-FA Limited, the series consists of three fixes – a 31 mm wide angle lens, a standard 43 mm lens, and a 77 mm portrait lens. Thus, now there are three lenses: HD PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited, HD PENTAX-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited, and HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited.