Alongside the OM-D E-M10 Mark IV Mirrorless camera, Olympus is also expanding the range of optics and produces new super telephoto zoom lens called telephoto M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5-6.3 IS. The main features of the lens include an impressive range of focal lengths of 200-800 mm in terms of 35 mm equivalent, as well as protection from dust and water splash.
By offering such focal lengths, the developers also did not forget about image stabilization – according to the company, it is capable of compensating up to 3 stops of exposure. The telephoto lens is compatible with the Olympus 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters and supports the latest features of the OM-D series cameras, such as Focus Stacking.
It offers a focal length equivalent to a 200-800mm lens, which can be extended to 1120mm with the M.Zuiko Digital 1.4x MC-14 tele-converter and up to 1600mm with the 2x MC-20 tele-converter.
The telephoto lens weighs 1120 g, the minimum focusing distance is only 1.3 m over the entire zoom range, the maximum magnification is 0.57x. The filter diameter is 72 mm, and it has a ZERO (Zuiko Extra-Low Reflection Optical) coating to minimize lens flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
Price and availability
The Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5-6.3 IS super telephoto zoom lens is expected to ship in early September 2020 and can be pre-ordered through the Bhphotovideo.com with an estimated price of $1,499.
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 100-400mm f/5-6.3 IS Specifications
- Focal Length: 100 to 400mm (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 200 to 800mm)
- Maximum Aperture: f/5 to 6.3
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Lens Mount: Micro Four Thirds
- Format Compatibility: Micro Four Thirds
- Angle of View: 12° to 3.1°
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1.3 m
- Maximum Magnification: 0.57x
- Optical Design: 21 Elements in 15 Groups
- Special elements: 4 ED, 2 Super HR, 2 HR
- Diaphragm Blades: 9, Rounded
- Focus Type: Autofocus
- Autofocus motor: linear motor
- Image Stabilization: Yes
- Tripod Collar: Removable and Rotating
- Front Filter Size: 72 mm
- Zoom lock: Yes
- Hood support: Yes
- Tripod mount: Yes.
- Dimensions: 86.4 x 205.7 mm
- Weight: 1120 g