Probably the most impressive Samsung gaming monitor Odyssey Ark to date will be available in a few days. Those willing to pay the high price get a gigantic, curved mini-LED display with a refresh rate of 165 Hz and support for AMD FreeSync Premium Pro.
Such a strong curvature should ensure stable viewing angles from a short distance, while the base allows the monitor to be used in portrait format. The Samsung curved screen offers a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels with a pixel density of 156 PPI. The mini LED lighting enables a full-surface brightness of 600 nits. The mini-LEDs can be dimmed to 16,384 levels, which means that Samsung promises practically perfect black values and an enormous contrast ratio.
Unlike most smart TVs, the Odyssey Ark has a matte screen surface that reduces annoying reflections, a refresh rate of 165 Hz, and support for AMD FreeSync Premium Pro. Just like the manufacturer’s Smart TVs, the monitor also offers the Tizen operating system, which enables video and game streaming as well as video chats without a connected computer.
The integrated 2.2.2 sound system offers a total power output of 60 watts. An ambient light sensor can automatically adjust the room brightness, and a position sensor automatically rotates the image when the monitor is rotated to portrait format. Also unusual is the Ark Dial, a small remote control that can be used to quickly manage settings and activate gaming features such as enlarging the mini-map.
Price and availability
Samsung has announced in a press release that the Odyssey Ark gaming monitor can be reserved now. The Bhphtovideo.com and Bestbuy.com online stores offer the Samsung curved screen at $3,499.99. Buyers can register now to “Get Notified” when preorders start and receive a code for $100 off your preorder. For this price, buyers get a 55-inch diagonal Samsung 4K monitor for gaming curved at a radius of 1,000R.
Updated on August 23, 2022: The Odyssey Ark Samsung 4K monitor is now available to pre-order on the Amazon.com website at $3,499.99.
Samsung Odyssey Ark specifications
- Display: 55-inch Curved VA panel
- Screen Curvature: 1000R
- Resolution: 3,840 x 2,160 pixels (4K UHD)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Brightness: 600 cd/㎡ (Typical) / 1000 cd/㎡ (Peak) / 420 cd/㎡ (Min)
- Static Contrast Ratio: 1,000,000:1 (Static)
- Dynamic Contrast Ratio: Mega DCR
- Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical): 178°(H)/178°(V)
- Response Time: 1ms (GtG)
- Active Display Size (H x V): 1209.6(H) x 680.4(V)
- Color Support: Max 1B
- Color Gamut (DCI Coverage): 95%(Typ.)
- Refresh Rate: 165Hz
- Features: HDR10+, HDR10+ Gaming, Mini LED Local Dimming (1,056 zones), Eye Saver Mode, FreeSync Premium Pro, Flicker Free, Game Mode, Image Size, Off Timer Plus, Eco Light Sensor, HDMI-CEC, Auto Source Switch+, Adaptive Picture, Quantum Dot Color, Game bar 2.0, SmartThings App, Tap View, Sound Mirroring, Bixby, Samsung TV Plus, Universal Guide (US only), Mobile to Screen Mirroring, DLNA, Alexa built-in, Video Communication, Microsoft 365, Workspace, Bluetooth 5.2, Remote Controller, Factory Calibration Tuning
- Audio: Adaptive Sound Speaker
- Ports: 1x Ethernet (LAN), 1x Headphone jack, 2x USB Hub, 2x USB Ports, HDMI 2.1,
- Stand: Tilt Landscape – 0~270mm(±5mm), Portrait – 0~30mm(±5mm) / Pivot – -90˚(±2˚)~90˚(±2˚)
- VESA Mount: 200 x 200 mm
- Operating System: Tizen
- Dimensions: 46.3 x 43.4 x 15 in (with stand)
- Weight: 91.5 lbs (with stand)
Recently, Samsung at its Unpacked event introduced the new Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 (hands-on) with better user experience and multitasking; Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 (hands-on) with more powerful and improved battery life; Samsung Galaxy Watch5 series (hands-on) with upgraded software and battery life; and Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro (hands-on) with an improved sound quality, ANC, and 29-hour battery.