Today, Nikon is introducing the NIKKOR Z 28mm f2.8, the smallest and lightest full-frame lens in the Nikon Z family to date: It has a pleasant angle of view and can be used in a variety of ways – from street scenes and landscapes to portraits.
The close focus of the bright 28 mm lens also allows for interesting close-ups, and the large angle of view shows more of the scene. On a Nikon Z camera with a DX sensor, the full-frame lens produces the image section of a 42 mm standard lens (equivalent to 35 mm) and is therefore also a welcome addition to the Nikon Z fc or Z 50. The large Z bayonet and the f/2.8 aperture with rounded blades ensure excellent performance in poor lighting conditions.
With the NIKKOR Z 28mm f2.8, impressive film sequences can also be staged with original perspectives. Due to its low weight, the lens is suitable for both handheld and gimbal recordings.
- Bright 1: 2.8 wide-angle lens: The focal length of 28 mm enables clear wide-angle shots with exciting perspectives.
- Light and compact: the lens is approx. 43 mm long and weighs approx. 155 g. With this dimension, it can remain on the camera and often finds space in a jacket pocket.
- Natural bokeh: the large diameter of the Z bayonet, the light intensity of f/2.8, and the aperture with seven rounded blades enable a soft, natural-looking bokeh.
- Suitable for close-ups: the close-focus limit of only 19 cm ensures sharp details even at short distances.
- Fast autofocus: The ultra-quiet stepper motor and the high light output of the Z bayonet ensure fast, precise, and quiet focusing.
- Suitable for videos: The focused breathing has been reduced considerably so that the sharpness can be adjusted without affecting the angle of view.
- 42 mm in DX-format: With a DX-format camera of the Z series, the focal length appears to be extended to 42 mm.
- Easy to use: With the almost noiseless setting ring, focus, aperture, exposure compensation, or ISO value can be adjusted.
- Well protected: The lens is sealed against the ingress of dust and water droplets.
Price and availability
NIKKOR Z 28mm f2.8 specifications
- Focal Length: 28mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Lens Mount: Nikon Z
- Format Compatibility: Full-Frame
- Angle of View: 75°
- Minimum Focus Distance: 19 cm
- Maximum Magnification: 0.2x
- Optical Design: 9 Elements in 8 Groups
- Diaphragm Blades: 7, Rounded
- Focus Type: Autofocus
- Image Stabilization: No
- Front Filter Size: 52 mm
- Dimensions: Approx. 71.5mm
- Maximum Diameter: 43mm (distance from camera lens mount flange)
- Weight: Approx. 5.7 oz (160g)
Last month, Nikon has also introduced its long-awaited and previously announced first mirrorless professional camera. The Nikon Z 9 is aimed primarily at professional photographers who have the highest demands in terms of speed (AF, series pictures), performance, and robustness. Series pictures in raw and a full 45.7 Mpx are possible with 20 photos/second, while 11-Mp even at 120 fps is possible.