After the announcement of the Summicron M 75mm, 28mm, and 90mm limited edition lenses last month, now the Leica has announced the new S3 Medium Format digital camera. Initially, the Leica S3 was planned for release in the spring of 2019, when we first saw it at Photokina 2018, but the official launch of the camera was constantly delayed for unknown reasons. Now the new Medium Format DSLR product has been announced and is already up for pre-order for those who have large wallets.
Leica S3 Pre-Order Price, Availability
As expected, the Leica S3 is not cheap at all. Pre-orders started at $18,995 for a body only via Bhphotovideo.com store, and the first devices will go on sale in late March 2020.
The heart of the S3 is a 64-megapixel (30 x 45 mm) medium format CMOS sensor with an aspect ratio of 2:3, a dynamic range of up to 15-stops and an ISO sensitivity range of 100–50000. The camera can take up to three still frames per second and record 8-bit Cine 4K video (4096 x 2160 pixels) 4:2:2 at 24 frames per second using the full width of the sensor. All these works, thanks to the Leica Maestro II processor, which offers 2 GB of buffer memory.
In addition to Live View mode with refresh rates of up to 60 frames per second, the S3 also has an optical viewfinder with 0.87x magnification and 98 percent coverage.
The appearance of the camera has not changed much compared to its predecessor Leica S (Typ 007) and looks more similar to the fresh Leica SL. The back of the camera is equipped with a 3-inch LCD display with four programmable buttons, two on each side.
The camera is also equipped with a GPS module that determines the exact geographical location and time using satellites, so this information is stored in the EXIF of each frame. The Wi-Fi module allows you to remotely control the camera using the Leica FOTOS 2.0 application.
Leica S3 Specifications
- Sensor: 64 MP, CMOS, 45 x 30 mm, without AA filter
- Sensitivity: ISO 100-50000
- Dynamic range: up to 15-stops
- Color Resolution: 14 bit
- Exposure: from 8 min. up to 1/4000 sec.
- Sync: 1/125 s (1/1000 sec. For CS lenses), HSS 1/4000 sec.
- Autofocus: phase sensor, AF-S, AF-C
- Burst shooting: up to 3fps
- Video: DCI 4K 24p, FullHD 30p, 4:2:2, 8-bit
- Viewfinder: optical, 0.87x, pentaprism, 98%coverage
- Display: 3-inch, resolution 921 thousand pixels
- Connectors: 3.5 mm microphone, 3.5 mm headphones, Lemo USB 3.0, HDMI Type C, Lemo Flash-Sync, Lemo Cable Release
- Memory Cards: CF UDMA7, SD / SDHC / SDXC UHS-I / UHS-II
- Wireless Connection: Wi-Fi 802.11n
- GPS: Yes
- Case: magnesium alloy, moisture, and dust resistant
- Battery: Leica S BP-PRO1, 7.3 V, 2300 mAh
- Dimensions: 160 x 80 x 120 mm
- Weight: 1260 g