iFi has launched a hip-dac2 DAC / Headphones Amplifier model aimed at users who want to listen to music with mobile devices such as smartphones or pocket music players. This new iFi hip DAC is equipped with an XMOS 16 chip for the USB input, and also allows for MQA decoding.
The main goal of the hip-dac2 headphone amp is to replace the DAC chip and amplifier integrated on smartphones, tablets, music players, or personal computers. iFi hip DAC 2 uses a USB interface, so it can connect to all current mobile devices.
Inside hip-dac2 is a Burr-Brown DAC chip that uses True Native circuit architecture to enhance audio performance to the highest level, allowing decoding of many formats such as MQA, DSD (native), and Bit-Perfect PCM. Hip-dac2’s GMT Femto crystal-clock counter is responsible for limiting jitter, to preserve signal quality before being sent to audio DAC for processing, thereby enhancing sound quality.
iFi hip-dac2 is equipped with a series of high-end audio components including iFi OV custom op-amps, TDK C0G Class-1 ceramic capacitors, Texas Instruments power ICs and dedicated analog volume circuits. The hip-dac2’s amplification performance is 400mW @32Ω, there is PowerMatch to increase or decrease the gain to suit the sensitivity of each different headset, in addition, there is also an XBass mode that allows bass enhancement without causing midrange buzzing.
The iFi hip-dac2’s connectivity ports include 1 USB-A Male input, 1 USB-C (charging), 1 S-Balanced 3.5mm Single-Ended output, and 1 4.4mm Penntacon Balanced output.
Price and availability
iFi hip-dac2 specifications
- Formats supported: DSD 256/128/64, Quad/Double/Single-Speed / PCM 384/352.8/192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1kHz / DXD 384/352.8kHz / MQA 384/352.8kHz
- Digital Inputs: USB 3.0 Type ‘A’ (USB2.0 compatible)
- Headphone Outputs: Balanced 4.4mm / S-Balanced (S-E) 3.5mm
- Power Output (@1% THD): Balanced 400mW@32Ω; 6.3V@600Ω / S-Balanced (S-E) 280mW@32Ω; 3.2V@600Ω
- Battery: Lithium-polymer 2200mAh, Approx. 8 hours
- Power System: Charging via USB-C, BC V1.2 compliant up
- to 1000mA charging current and 6.3 volts
- Power (max): <2W idle, 4W max
- Dimensions: 102 x 70 x 14mm
- Weight: 125g (0.28 lbs)
Recently, iFi audio has also launched two new flagship headphones amplifier products in the Signature Series, the Pro iDSD Signature wireless audio streamer, DAC/preamp player, and the Pro iCAN Signature amplifier.