The new Gigabyte A7 X1 is the first AMD-based midrange gaming laptop in the company’s new gaming series. It features the Ryzen 9 5900HX processor with an integrated Vega 7 graphics card and a discrete Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 8GB laptop GPU. The screen is limited to FHD resolution but enjoys a refresh rate of 144Hz, and it is possible to support up to 64GB DDR4-3200 RAM and 6TB of storage
The mid-range Gigabyte A7 gaming laptop is equipped with AMD’s latest APUs and is considered to be Gigabyte’s first mid-range gaming laptop to feature AMD’s AMD Ryzen 5000H APU and Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 3000 mobile GPUs. Gigabyte is also putting forward its “Beyond Gaming” slogan to signal that this new laptop is designed not only for gaming but also for learning, working from home, and creating content, especially now that the world is going through a global pandemic.
The new 17-inch A7 X1 laptop is equipped with the following AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX APU processors integrating a Vega 7 processor coupled with a 64 GB DDR4-3200 RAM. On the storage side, there is a 2.5″ SATA HDD/SSD, plus two additional M.2 2280 slots that support a PCIe 3.0 lane each for a maximum capacity of 6TB. To keep the prices as affordable as possible, the display only offers one resolution FHD, but still offers a decent color gamut with 72% NTSC and a refresh rate of 144Hz. Even though the RTX 3070 appears to be a Max-Q version the TGP is almost set to max at 140W.
The chassis is a bit bulky with a 32.4mm profile, but the overall weight of around 2.5kg is what we’d expect from systems this size. Unfortunately, the battery capacity of just 48.96 Wh is not exactly that good for a 17-inch laptop. Other features include an HD camera, Wi-Fi 6 + BT 5.0, a 2.5 Gb Ethernet network card, 2-watt speakers with a built-in mic, and an all-zone monochrome backlit keyboard with 15 color variations. Port selection is robust with 1x USB-A 2.0, 1x USB-A 3.2 Gen 1, 1x USB-A 3.2 Gen 2, and 1x USB-C 3.2 Gen (DP 1.4 mode), HDMI 2.0, and mini DP 1.4 video outputs, combo audio, and microphone jacks, plus a GbE jack.
Price and availability
Gigabyte A7 X1 CUS1130SH Specifications
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX octa-core ( 3.3Ghz-4.6Ghz clock speed / 8 core CPU / 16 threads / 16MB L3 Cache )
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (8GB VRAM GDDR6 )
- Graphics features: Boost Clock 1560 MHz, Maximum Graphics Power 140 W, Dynamic Boost 2.0, Resizable BAR, and Optimus Technology.
- Memory: 16GB ram ( DDR4-3200MHz / 2x DDR4 Slots – Max 64GB ram supported )
- Storage: 512GB SSD ( Support 3 Storage System – 2x M.2 SSD slots, 1x 2.5” HDD/ SSD slot )
- Display: 17.3 inch Full HD screen ( 144Hz refresh rate / 1920 x 1080 pixels / 72% NTSC / Anti-glare / IPS )
- Keyboard type: All-zone of Single Colored Backlit Keyboard with 15 Colors LED Setting
- USB ports: 1x USB2.0 Type-A, 1x USB3.2 Gen1 Type-A, 1x USB3.2 Gen2 Type-A, 1x DisplayPort 1.4 Type-C over USB 3.2 Gen 2
- Other ports: 1x mini DP 1.4, 1x Audio combo jack, 1x Microphone jack, 1x HDMI 2.0 (with HDCP), 1x RJ-45
- Operating system: Windows 10 Home
- Audio: 2x 2 Watt Speaker, NAHIMIC 3D Audio for Gamers
- Connectivity: RTL8125-BG REALTEK (2.5G) Ethernet, Intel AX200 Wireless WiFi 6 (802.11ax, a/b/g/n/ac/ax compatible), Bluetooth 5.2
- Webcam: HD Camera
- Battery: Li-ion 48.96Wh
- Power supply: 230W
- Security: FTPM for system without Hardware TPM
- Weight: 2.5 kg
If you are not satisfied with the FHD display then we have the Gigabyte AERO 15 OLED review, the gaming laptop comes with high quality 4K OLED screen, which is color-calibrated according to Pantone standards, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070, and the Nvidia RTX Studio driver to optimize for graphics tasks.