Australian company Blackmagic Design has announced a new professional-grade film movie camera: Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K. The new advanced camera has the ability to shoot video in phenomenal 12K resolution.
In the official release text, the company says that the sensor of this camera (Super35 format) has a dynamic range of 14 stops. It has 80 megapixels per frame, new color science and the flexibility of Blackmagic RAW makes working with 12K a reality. Oversampling from 12K gives you the best 8K and 4K images with the subtle skin tones and extraordinary detail of high end still cameras.
The user can shoot at 60 fps in 12K, 110 fps in 8K, and up to 220 fps in 4K Super 16. URSA Mini Pro 12K features an interchangeable PL mount, as well as built-in ND filters, dual CFast and UHS-II SD card recorders, a SuperSpeed USB C expansion port, and more.
The film camera has a high resolution 1920 x 1080 color OLED display with precision glass optics, adjustable diopter, and built-in digital focus chart so you get perfect focus every time. You can easily access the fully assignable function buttons on top of the viewfinder for zooming, turning on overlays, focus peaking control and more.
An optional PL lens mount that features contact pins for compatibility with Cooke’s i/Technology protocol allowing lens information to be saved as metadata and used in software like DaVinci Resolve. The camera has two slots for CFast 2.0 and UHS-II SD cards, one USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 port with power supply for recording to external drives.
Price and availability
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K has been priced at $9,995, and it can be pre-ordered through the Bhphotovideo.com online store, shipping will start from next month.
Blackmagic Design has also introduced the URSA Mini Pro 12K Recorder for $395 and it is also available to pre-order via the Bhphotovideo.com online shop.
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K Specifications
- Sensor Size: 27.03mm x 14.25mm (Super35)
- Lens Mount: PL mount included. Interchangeable with optional EF and F lens mounts
- Lens Control: 12pin broadcast connector for compatible lenses and electronic control via EF mount pins on optional EF lens mount.
- Dynamic Range: 14 Stops
- 12,288 x 6480 (12K DCI)
- 11,520 x 6480 (12K 16:9)
- 12,288 x 5112 (12K 2.4:1)
- 7680 x 6408 (12K Anamorphic)
- 8192 x 4320 (8K DCI)
- 7680 x 4320 (8K 16:9)
- 8192 x 3408 (8K 2.4:1)
- 5120 x 4272 (8K Anamorphic)
- 6144 x 3240 (6K Super16)
- 4096 x 2160 (4K Super16)
- 4096 x 2160 (4K DCI)
- 3840 x 2160 (4K 16:9)
- 4096 x 1704 (4K 2.4:1)
- 2560 x 2136 (4K Anamorphic)
High Speed Frame Rates
- 12K 17:9 full sensor up to 60 fps
- 8K DCI full sensor up to 110 fps
- 4K DCI full sensor up to 110 fps
- 8K 2.4:1 and 4K 2.4:1 up to 140 fps
- 6K Super 16 up to 120 fps
- 4K Super 16 up to 220 fps
- Audio: Integrated stereo microphone, 1 x mono speaker
- Ultra HD Video Standards: 2160p23.98, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29.97, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59.94, 2160p60
- HD Video Standards: 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60, 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 1080i60
- Storage: 2 x CFast 2.0, 2 x SD UHS-II cards, 1 x USB-C
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 5:1,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 8:1,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 12:1,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Bitrate 18:1,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Quality Q0,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Quality Q1,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Quality Q3,
- Blackmagic RAW Constant Quality Q5.
Back in April this year, Blackmagic Design has introduced the ATEM Mini Pro live stream switcher has a number of additional features, support for many popular platforms, multi-window monitoring mode, media, pre-viewed and program signals, and for saving, streaming, and sound, a status display is provided.