Blackmagic Design has announced its new cinema camera – Pocket Cinema Camera 6K G2. This new Blackmagic pocket cinema camera will be an intermediate model between the already released Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K (approx. $2000 on Bhphotovideo) and 6K Pro (approx. $2,500 on Bhphotovideo).
If we compare the new cinema camera with the previously released BMPCC6K PRO, there is only one difference: the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K G2 does not have built-in ND filters. It will allow you to install a speed booster on it to reduce the crop factor.
The latest Pocket Cinema Camera 6K G2 features a Super 35 sensor with 13 stops of dynamic range and dual native ISO. The camera shoots in 6K resolution (6144×4456 pixels). The maximum frame rate for video shooting ranges up to 60fps or 120fps in crop mode.
According to the manufacturer, the new camera supports the fifth generation of Blackmagic Color Science color profiles (as well as the BMPCC6K PRO version). Like other models in the 6K line, the new version has a Canon EF mount.
There is a tilting five-inch touch screen. It can be supplemented with an optional detachable 1280×960 resolution OLED viewfinder with a tilting design – the viewfinder can be rotated up to 70 degrees upwards. In addition, the camera received the ability to record directly to external SSDs via a USB-C port.
A more capacious NP-F570 battery is used for power (compared to the first BMPCC 6K camera), and the device can also be powered and even charged during operation from an external power source.
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K G2 reportedly supports 12-bit gamma curve profiles to preserve detail in shadows and highlights. And Blackmagic Color Science is responsible for processing Blackmagic RAW, so the color and dynamic range data from the sensor is stored using metadata, which can then be used in post-processing.
Price and availability
The price on the Bhphotovideo.com and Adorama.com websites is practically identical – $1,995 and is already available for pre-order.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K G2 features
- Effective sensor size: 23.10mm x 12.99mm (Super 35).
- Lens mount: EF with active control.
- Dynamic range: 13 degrees.
- Dual native ISO: 400 and 3200.
- Video Recording Resolution: 6144 x 3456 (6K) up to 50 fps., 6144 x 2560 (6K 2.4:1) up to 60 fps., 5744 x 3024 (5.7K 17:9) up to 60 fps., 4096 x 2160 (4K DCI) up to 60 fps., 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) up to 60 fps., 3728 x 3104 (anamorphic 3.7K 6:5) up to 60 fps., 2868 x 1512 (2.8K 17:9) up to 120 fps., 1920 x 1080 (HD) up to 120 fps.
- Frame Rate: The maximum frame rate of the sensor depends on the selected resolution and codec. Frame rate of the project: 23.98/24/25/29.97/30/50/59.94/60 fps.
- Ability to use special frame rates up to 60 fps (6K 2.4:1), 120 fps (2.8K 17:9 and HD 1080).
- Built-in ND filters: No.