Sony ended all rumors over the past few days with the press release of the Sony Alpha 6400. Although the name A6400 is still controversial, after the launch, this camera is considered a suitable replacement for A6300.
The Sony A6400 has been announced with the world’s fastest autofocus at just 0.02 seconds, combining AI Artificial Intelligence to create new “Real-time Eye AF” and “Real-time Tracking” features. With the ability to shoot videos well in combination with the fast focusing system, the target audience for Sony this time is Vloggers.
Sony Alpha A6400 Features:
- World’s fastest autofocus system that allows the camera to acquire focus in as little as 0.02 seconds
425 phase-detection AF points and 425 contrast-detection AF points, covering approximately 84% of the image area
- Real-time Eye AF technology employs artificial intelligence based object recognition to detect and process eye data in real time
- Real-time Tracking mode includes artificial intelligence (AI) based object recognition and processes color, subject distance (depth), and pattern (brightness) as spatial information to ensure that all subjects can be captured with accuracy
A6400 has a 3-inch touchscreen display which is now capable of rotating 180 degrees (selfie screen) and wring the eye to those who want to recover without having to go through the application. It has a 24.2MP Exmor CMOS APS-C image sensor, thus taking the place of the A5100 and the entry-level A6xxx.
On the video front is guaranteed to record in 4K at 30fps (QFHD: 3840 x 2160). Sony’s a6400 is equipped with an upgraded BIONZ X processor to deliver improved image quality and color reproduction in all types of shooting conditions. The camera can also record Full HD at 120 fps at up to 100 Mb/s, allowing footage to be reviewed and eventually edited into 4x or 5x slow-motion video files in Full HD resolution with AF tracking.
Price and Availability
The Sony Alpha A6400 will be available for pre-order starting from January 17th on Bhphotovideo.com with a retail price of $898 for the camera body. It also sells with the 16-50mm f3.5 lens for $998 and with the 18-135mm f3.5 lend for $1,298.
Sony Alpha A6400 Specifications
- Dimensions of 120.0 x 66.9 x 59.7 mm
- Weight of 403g
- Touch Screen TFT-LCD Tilt Display of 3 inches
- 24 megapixels APS-C CMOS Sensor
- Maximum resolution of 6000×4000 pixels
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Auto ISO 100-32000 to 102400
- 4K (3840 x 2160) recording at 30fps, FHD (1920×1080) at 60
- Phase Detection: 425
- Contrast Detection: 425
- Viewfinder coverage: 100%
- Shutter speed – Min. 30 sec. Max. 1/4000 sec
- Continuous Shooting Speed – 11 fps
- Real-Time Eye AF
- Real-Time Tracking
- Connectivity of Wi-Fi, NFC, Micro-USB 2.0, Microphone port, mini HDMI port
- NP-FW50 Battery