Samsung Portable SSD X5 is the first external/portable SSD of the South Korean giant based on NVMe technology. Thanks to the included high-speed drive and the Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, Samsung considers it the ideal solid state drive (SSD) for content creators and IT professionals.
The Samsung X5 offers a read speed of up to 2,800 MB/s, which is up to 5.2 times faster than the widely used SATA interface portable SSDs and up to 25.5 times faster than external HDDs. The drive also boasts the fastest maximum write speed of 2,300 MB/s, enabling users to transfer a 20GB-sized 4K UHD video in just 12 seconds.
The outer case is made of metal with a non-slip bottom base; internally it is reinforced by a shockproof metal frame that protects the disk against falls up to a maximum of 2 meters. Also provided a special heatsink that allows the drive to maintain its ideal operating temperatures. Finally, the supplied software allows encrypting the contents of the entire disk using the 256-bit AES protocol.
Samsung Portable SSD X5 Price and Availability
Samsung Portable SSD X5 is now already up for pre-orders via Amazon and will be released on September 3, 2018. The list prices are as follows:[amazon box=”B07GBGG68L” /] [amazon box=”B07GBWZJFG” /] [amazon box=”B07GBTY82P” /]
Samsung Portable SSD X5 Specifications
- Capacity: 2TB/1TB/500GB
- Interface: Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps)
- Dimensions: 119 x 62 x 19.7 mm
- Weight: 150 grams
- Compatibility: Macs and Windows PCs with Thunderbolt 3 ports (Not backward compatible / Not compatible with PCs only with USB interface) MacOS Sierra (10.12) or higher / Windows 10 64 bit RS 2 or higher
- Performance: Up to 2,800 MB/s sequential read speeds / Up to 2,300 MB/s sequential write speeds (500GB: up to 2,100 MB/s)
- Encryption: AES 256-bit hardware encryption
- Security: Samsung Portable SSD Software / Password protection (optional)
- Warranty: Three-Year