Lensbaby introduced the new Velvet 28mm F2.5 lens, after the launch of the eight Canon RF lenses and Nikon Z lenses last year. According to the manufacturer, a manually assembled lens with a metal body is designed for many types of photo and video shooting, including landscapes and street scenes.
A characteristic feature of the Velvet 28mm is the Soft Glowing Effect familiar to users of other Velvet lenses. The advantages of the new Canon EF 28mm lens also include the ability to shoot with a 1:2 scale.
Wide-angle prime is designed for full-frame Canon RF, EF, DSLRs, however, can also be used with APS-C-format models where it provides a 44.8mm / 42mm equivalent focal length or Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras with a 56mm equivalent focal length and DX models where it provides a 42mm equivalent focal length.
The Velvet 28mm Sony E mount lenses feature 12-blade diaphragm contributes to the lens’s aesthetic and helps to produce a smooth bokeh quality to suit shallow depth of field imagery. It comes in Canon EF, Nikon F, Canon RF, Nikon Z, Sony E, Fujifilm X, and Micro Four Thirds mounts. Note that the options for SLR and mirrorless cameras are quite different in size and weight.
Price and availability
Lensbaby Velvet 28mm F/2.5 lens has been priced at $549.95 and it can be purchased via the Bhphotovideo.com online store.
Lensbaby Velvet 28mm F2.5 Specifications
- Focal length: 28 mm
- Optical design: 8 elements in 7 groups;
- Aperture: f/2.5-f/22 (you can open the aperture another 1/3 stop by turning the ring to the + sign after the 2.5 mark)
- Diaphragm Blades: 12
- Minimum focus distance: 4.5″ / 11.43 cm
- Maximum magnification: 0.5x
- Filter size: 67 mm
- Front Diameter: 72.4 mm
- Length – 63.4 mm (option for SLR cameras), 88.9 mm (option for mirrorless cameras)
- Weight – 472 g (option for SLR cameras), 594 g (option for mirrorless cameras)