In post-production work, a great screen can really make a difference. Let us guide you in this difficult choice.
If your work forces you to frequently use a PC, especially on a graphics level, we are sure that you are not among the people who are content with a mediocre screen. Whether you are a photographer or you have to shoot video, the greatest need is for images reproduced on your computer to be as faithful to reality as possible.
Precisely for this reason today we will analyze the best monitors for photography and video work, so as to give you a choice in this chaotic market. Just as your equipment must be able to capture the scene in the best way, even the screen you intend to use must do the same thing. Of course, this means putting the cheaper models aside. But take it as an investment in your future.
Best Monitors for Photography and Video Work: Parameters of Choices
When selecting a monitor for photography and video work, the selection must be particularly strict. Otherwise, the risk is that you find yourself with a product that goes to make your work worse. Precisely for this reason in the next lines, we will propose some essential features in the choice of a screen suitable for your purpose.
Dimensions: Dimensions are a very subjective factor. Of course, the screen is bigger, the more details you can capture during image processing. Our advice never goes to below 24-inches if you use it in the workplace. In case of ample space available, you can climb up to 32-inch models.
Aspect ratio: There are different types of screen aspect ratio. The most comfortable to use in photography is undoubtedly the 16:10, which maintains the natural relationship of the shots and allows you to easily use the programs for post-production.
Viewing angle: This feature is nothing more than the viewing angle of the monitor. The more the image remains faithful as you move sideways, the greater it’s value. This allows you to capture all the nuances of a shot from any angle you look at the screen.
Color fidelity and depth: A digital image will never have absolute color fidelity. This is why it is essential that the colors reproduced are as similar as possible to the originals. This is evaluated with the sRGB range, which should never be less than 95% in a quality monitor. The same is true for the color depth, which must be 10bit to be high enough.
Resolution: Is given by the number of pixels that make up the screen. For monitors up to 27-inches, the Full HD can be more than enough. However, as the diagonal increases, a growth of the resolution should correspond. The most suitable screen for photography and video is 4K.
Brightness: This feature does not need too many presentations. It is essential to know that a good LCD should never supply values below 300cd/m².
Contrast: It is defined as the ability to express a grayscale that goes from white to black in an optimal way. Although it is not a key feature in photography, having deep blacks can always be aesthetically pleasing.
Response time: Expressed in ms, indicates the time a pixel takes turning it on and off. Very important if you work in the video sector, if the response time is high you will notice little trails during the playback of the movies.
After this brief clarification, it is time to move to the heart of our article. In the next paragraphs, we will show you the best monitors for photography and video work.
If you want to choose a monitor for photography that does not cost a lot, but has good features, Dell has put in place the right solution for you. Integrates a 24-inch screen with edge-to-edge display and Full HD resolution.
It has an aspect ratio of 16:10, so perfect for your purpose and has a 99% sRGB width. It will not be the top model for professionals, but its qualities make it a must for amateurs.
Acer Predator XB241H
It is one of the sacred monsters among the best monitors currently on the market. Designed for gaming, thanks to its technical specifications and it is also perfect for photography and video. It has a truly enviable quality as well as price ratio.
|Acer Predator XB241H bmipr 24-inch Full HD 1920x1080 NVIDIA G-Sync Display, 144Hz, 2 x 2w speakers,...||$349.99||Buy on Amazon|
Equipped with an LCD panel, with a diagonal of 24-inches, it has a Full HD resolution. The response time is 1ms and the technology used for the screen is TN.
BenQ offers us this monitor designed specifically for photography. Equipped with a 27-inch screen is adjustable in height to always allow an optimal view. The resolution is really high, stands at 2560 x 1400 pixels, so you always get high-quality images.
|BenQ SW2700PT PhotoVue 27 inch QHD 1440p Photography Monitor | Hotkey Puck for Efficiency | AQCOLOR...||$599.00||Buy on Amazon|
Even the width of the color is suitable for use, with a percentage of the Adobe RGB scale of 99. To make matters even greater, this screen was awarded the TIPA Award 2016, dedicated to the best monitors for photography.
This Samsung monitor has features that make it suitable for semi-professional use. The first feature that surely catches the eye is the display size of 32-inches. If this were not enough, the panel type is Quantum Dot and has a 4K resolution.
|Samsung LU32H850UMNXZA 31.5" UH850 UHD Monitor with Quantum Dot Black/Silver||$587.00||Buy on Amazon|
Surely the many incoming ports make this monitor perfect for use in multitasking, which will allow you to work easily with multiple windows. The response time is instead of 4ms, while the refresh rate is 60Hz.
Dell U2515H ADZG
We’ve already seen a really interesting monitor from Dell. This is at a higher end and aims a lot more of substance than design. Equipped with a display size 25-inches, in fact, returns a resolution of 2560 x 1440 pixels.
|Dell UltraSharp U2515H 25-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor||$899.99||Buy on Amazon|
Its strength lies in the balance of the image, which never turns to different results from the original. To underline the panel coating with anti-reflection technology with a 3H hard coating.
If it were not a monitor designed specifically for photography, you would probably consider the look of this product anachronistic. In reality, the quality is really high and particularly complements interesting solutions. The screen has a diagonal of 27-inches, with a WQHD resolution and a color depth of 99% on the Adobe RGB scale.
|ASUS PA279Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 AH-IPS DP Input, Daisy-Chain DP Output HDMI DVI-D Ergonomic Back-lit...||$1,124.61||Buy on Amazon|
Those who take a lot of photos will certainly find the memory card reader integrated on the left side which is very useful. In this way transferring your images to the PC will be really easy. Adjustable inclination helps make work even smoother.
Other interesting monitors
After presenting you what we believe are the best monitors for photography and video work, we decided to show you best-seller monitors on Amazon with an excellent quality. Are you ready to find out?
- 21.5" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen IPS Display
- AMD Radeon FreeSync Technology
- Refresh Rate: 75Hz - Using HDMI Port
- Zero-Frame Design | Ultra-Thin | 4ms Response Time | IPS Panel
- Ports: 1 x HDMI & 1 x VGA
- Monitor: 23.8-inch diagonal Full HD (1920x1080) micro-edge IPS; An ultra-wide viewing experience provides for seamless multi-monitor set-ups
- Resolution and aspect ratio: Full HD and 16:9; 2 million pixels for crystal-clear visuals and vibrant image quality. Brightness: 250 cd/m2, Supports 100 mm standard VESA pattern mount
- Response time and refresh rate: 5ms and 60Hz; Get a smooth picture that looks crisp and fluid without motion blur. Dimensions(W x D x H) - 54.06 x 18.43 x 40.03 cm (with stand). 54.06 x 50 x 32.25 cm (without stand)
- Ports: HDMI, VGA, and HDCP support help you stay connected. Response time : 14 ms on/off (typical). 7 ms gray to gray with overdrive
- Audio: integrated speakers; Get great audio built right in from the integrated speakers.Display Colors:16.7 Million
- True 16:9 Resolution 1600 x 900
- High Contrast Ratio: 5,000,000: 1.20 inches LED HD+ Monitor(19.5 inches Diagonal corner to corner).DimensionsWith Stand (Inches) 18.01 x 7.17 x13.57 (inches).Without stand: 18.01 x 2.17 x 13.47(inches)
- HDMI, DVI or VGA Input. Power Range :100 - 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 1.1A (Max.)
- Build in dual Speakers. Signal compatibility : Digital Signal Frequency 30 - 80 kHz (Horizontal) / 60 - 75 kHz (Vertical)
- VESA Wall Mount Ready. OS Compatibility- Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, macOS High Sierra, macOS Sierra, OS X El Capitan
- Full HD IPS Display
- On-Screen Control. Black Stabilizer. Refresh rate- 60 Hz.OS Compatibility-Windows 10
- Screen Split 2.0 , Without Stand (WxHxD): 28.6 x 3.7 x 16.9 Inches
- Resolution - 1920 x 1080. Aspect Ratio - 16:9. Surface Treatment : Anti-Glare, 3H.Refresh Rate 60 Hz
- INPUTS/OUTPUTS: HDMI (ver 1.4) - Yes D-Sub - Yes.Reader Mode
- 23.8" Full HD IPS Widescreen with 1920 x 1080 resolution
- Response Time: 4ms, Refresh Rate: 60Hz, Pixel Pitch: 0.2745mm. 178 Degree Wide Viewing Angle, Display Colors: 16.7M
- The zero-frame design provides maximum visibility of the screen from edge-to-edge.
- Signal Inputs: 1 X HDMI, 1 x DVI (w/HDCP) & 1 x VGA. Does not support HDCP 2.2, the version this monitor supports is HDCP 1.4
- No picture visible using the osd menu, adjust brightness and contrast to maximum or reset to their default settings. Brightness is 250 nit
- Affordable and reliable 23" IPS monitor with wide viewing angle and essential Features that Drive productivity
- Get consistent colors across a wide viewing angle, enabled by In-plane switching technology on a 23" full HD screen
- Optimize eye comfort with a flicker-free screen and comfort view feature which minimizes Blue light emission
- Compatible with most legacy and current PCs via VGA and HDMI connectivity (Ports vary depending on models). Compatibility- All Operating System
- Flexibility to configure with Dell mounts and stands options for evolving office requirements.Refresh Rate:60 Hz
- Thin Bezel
- 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz full HD maximum resolution
- 16: 9 aspect ratio
- Compact base to maximize desk space
- 1000: 1 contrast ratio.Brightness:250 cd/m² (typ)
- 27" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen VA Monitor
- Response time: 4ms. Pixel Pitch: 0.311mm
- Vesa mount standard is 100 x 100
- Signal Inputs: 1 x HDMI & 1 x VGA. VGA cable included
- Panel technology is vertical alignment. Color supported is 16.7 million colors and brightness is 300 nit.Standard Refresh Rate:60 Hz
- Industry leading 1800R screen curvature for immersive viewing
- Slim design with high glossy black finish and innovative T-shaped stand
- Rapid 4ms response time for a clear picture during fast moving scenes
- Color gamut (NTSC 1976): 72%, brightness- minimum : 200cd/m2. Windows Compatible : Windows 10. Outputs: Audio / Headphone (3.5mm)
- Product Dimensions Without Stand :24.5" x 14.5" x 3.2";With Stand :24.5" x 18.4" x 9.6"
- Monitor: 21.5-inch diagonal Full HD (1920x1080) IPS; Enjoy vibrant images with 178-degree wide-viewing angles
- Resolution and aspect ratio: Full HD and 16:9; 2 million pixels for crystal-clear visuals and vibrant image quality
- Response time: 7ms with overdrive; Get a smooth picture that looks crisp and fluid without motion blur.Brightness - 250 nits.Static contrast ratio- Up to 1000:1. Dynamic contrast ratio- Up to 8,000,000:1
- Ports: VGA, HDMI, and HDCP support help you stay connected;Power Consumption: 20 Watt
- Environmental features: Mercury-free LED backlighting, Arsenic-free monitor glass, and the low halogen design promote energy efficiency
Are you satisfied with the best monitors for photography and video work we presented today? Do not forget to give your feedback in the comment section below.